engine running problems.

Old 07-17-03, 11:47 AM
jimgfe
Visiting Guest
Tecumseh engine runnig problems.

Hello,

I have a 4HP Tecumseh which when first started runs fine. However, after about 15-20 minutes of running it looses power and backfires and has no power. I have had service on this engine where the head gasket was replaced and the carburetor was cleaned and reworked. Still the problem exists. I swapped carburetors (a new one) and the same condition occured.

I feel an unusual amount a hot gases coming from the breather element. (this is an older model)

I would like to keep this engine because it has a lighting coil in it.

I suspect it may be valve related.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-03, 12:57 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: jimgfe

Could very well be the valves depending on the engines age and usage. Or some other more difficult problem to fix. Try the easy stuff first.

Run the engine without the fuel tanks cap on. If the engine continues to dispaly the same problem, it is not a plugged or restricted vent hole in the fauel tanks cap.

Could be engine over heating. Clean and clear out the fins on the head and the intake. Could also be worn rings cause the breather condition.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the potential possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts are available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops. They are listed in the phone book directory in every town.

Suggestion:
Read the already asked questions and the replies offered in them on this same type of problem for additional help & information on engine running problems. Doing so will provide additional possible causes and the solutions to correct them.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Old 07-17-03, 10:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sharp Advice is right...my first thought is that it is running hot, and the cooling fins need to be cleaned.