Starting Problem

Old 07-19-03, 04:44 PM
ronhesdorff
Visiting Guest
Starting a Craftsman Gas Edger

Does anyone have tips on starting a Craftsman Edger? The Edger I have is gas and it will not start. The engine will not even turn over once. I have primed the engine 5 times as instructed but nothing happens. Is there some trick to starting this thing?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-03, 08:49 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello ronhesdorff. Welcome to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Basically speaking, all engines must have four componets to start and run. Fuel, air, compression and ignition. When an engine fails to start, one or more of the componets is missing.

First item to check is the spark plug. It may not be firing. If it is not, replace it with a new plug and try again. If the new plug fails to fire or start the engine, there could be a grounding condition to or with the electrical system.

Check the kill switch or stop/start/run position on the plate attached to the engine. There could be a grounding condition there. An ohm meter can be used to test for an open or closed circuit.

If all seems correct there, check for fuel flow to the carb. Remove the fuel hose from the carb. Fuel should freely flow out of the hose. If not, there is a restriction in the fuel line or system somewhere that must be located and corrected.

When you mentioned the engine will not "turn over" do you mean crank? You cannot pull the starter rope and make the engines piston spin over????

Or does "not turn over" mean the engine will not start or does not attempt to start??? Kindly clearify your terminology on this. Doing so would be greatly appreciated and helpful. Thanks.

The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts, generic repair manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops in your area. Shops and dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

Suggestion:
Read the already asked questions and the replies offered in them on this same type of engine starting problem for additional help & information. Doing so will provide additional possible causes and the solutions to correct them.

To post the updated information requested and clearify the terminology used, simply use the REPLY button.

Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Old 07-19-03, 09:35 PM
ronhesdorff
Visiting Guest
Thank you for your reply.

I was able to start the edger. I primed the engine longer and the engine started for a few seconds and then turned off. I tried this several times but the engine would just turn off. I decided to try priming the engine after pulling the rope and the edger stayed on after a few attempts. I guess more gas needed to be pumped into the engine before starting. I was able to edge the whole yard this evening.

Ron Hesdorff

Old 07-20-03, 05:00 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Ron

Glad to know you got the engine to start and run without repairs. Thanks for taking a moment of you time to post back the update.

We now understand what you meant by "Turn Over" too...
5 primes may be required to prime the engine to start it.

May or may not be an esay to start engine, depending upon that engine & it's condition. May have a hard starting problem. If so, post back that update and the pros will offer help to fix it.