Engine Running Problem

Old 07-19-03, 05:39 PM
Strid
Visiting Guest
10 hsp. tecumseh has to be warmed up.

Everytime I go to use the snowblower I have the same problem.
It fires but to keep it going I have to intermitently tap the primer bulb and if I don't have 10 minutes to let it warm up I can't just throw the accelorator lever up or it chokes out, pops and blows black smoke so I quickly drop it down and it levels off and runs smoothly at idle speed. Once it warms up I can lift the acceloration lever and it usually will be o.k. It was like this when I bought it so I took it to repair and they said they fixed it. I'm tired of holding my head just right. Can someone tell me what to adjust. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-03, 09:18 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello and Welcome Strid to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and the Small Engine forum.

If I am reading your question correctly, the engine seems to be running too lean when cold. Which may mean the fuel adjustment is not set correctly or the choke is not set correclty or fully closing.

When the engine is cold, before attempting to start it, remove the air filter, set the throttle or close the choke. The choke plate inside the barrel of the carb should be fully closed.

The black smoke you mentioned, I assume, is because you pressed the primer bubble? Or is it because the engine is choking too much <getting too much fuel> and stalling or dieing out?

Kindly clearify that part of the problem description. Also reply back using the reply button and add the engine model number and serial numbers. Doing so will also help us help you.

The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts, generic repair manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops in your area. Shops and dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

Suggestion:
Read the already asked questions pertaining to engine running and or starting problems and the replies offered in them for additional help & information. Doing so will provide additional possible causes and the solutions to correct them.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.