Engine Question

Old 07-19-03, 07:31 PM
WTW
Visiting Guest
engine change on Troybilt walk behind

I have a Troybilt WideCut 33" walk behind mower. It was given to me after the engine was run without oil. It is only about 2 years old, and is in perfect condition except for the engine. It had a 9hp Briggs & Stratten with pull start. I bought a used Tecumseh 12hp electric start to put on it. I have it installed, except for the gas tank and wiring for the starter. I want to wire it with a toggle switch, and push button for the starter. How do I wire this? I would appreciate any help on this subject.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-03, 11:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello WTW!

You can use a push button start switch for an older snapper rear engine rider that will handle the current needed to start this engine without using a solenoid. Just run the positive battery cable to the switch, and the starter cable to the switch. The single wire coming off the ignition coil is the kill wire. Just connect it to a switch that grounds the wire when turned off. There is also a wire or pair of wires coming from under the flywheel. These are the charging wire(s). If it has one, just connect it to the positive side of the battery. If it has two, determine which one is for charging, and which is for lights, and connect the one for charging to the battery pos.

Old 07-20-03, 04:03 PM
WTW
Visiting Guest
The push button switch that I have is 15amp. Is that heavy enough? If not, How heavy should it be? Also what guage cables should I go with? I'm not very knowledgeable in the electrical aspect.

Old 07-20-03, 06:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
15 amp will probably be fine. Use at least 8 gague wire, and if you have to run it a long distance, go to 6.