running problem

Old 07-20-03, 07:00 AM
racer
Visiting Guest
running problem

I'm working on an old Jacobson greens cutter and it is a 2 stroke engine. The problem is that it will sit there and idle no problem but when you open up the throttle it just won't wind up like it should. It seems to have no power at all. The throttle cable is working and there is no restrictions in the exhaust. I can't find any settings on the carb. No screw on the bottom of the bowl or no low speed screw either. Would it be a gummed up carb or what should I be looking for? Any help would be appreciated since they need this thing running for a tournament coming up.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-03, 10:50 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: racer

The throttle cable may be physically moving but is it acutally raising the throttle barrel in the carb? Yes? or No?

If yes, we can move onwards...
If not, problem discovered and must be corrected.

Does the engine stall and or die when you attempt to accelerate the engine from idle? Yes? or No?

If yes, problem is fuel starvation. Which most likely means the carb fuel passages are blocked or restricted. Carb internal cleaning and rebuild required.

If no, because it does not accelerate and continues to idle, see above.

There could also be a fuel flow restriction. No mention of that. Check for fuel flow out of the fuel tank. Disconnect the hose at the carb and allow the fuel to flow out for several seconds.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts, generic repair manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops in your area. Shops and dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

Suggestion:
Read the already asked questions and the replies offered in them on this same type of problem for additional help & information. Doing so will provide additional possible causes and the solutions to correct them.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Search this Thread