lawn mower engines

Old 07-23-03, 06:44 AM
grampyh331
Visiting Guest
lawn mower engines

I HAVE TWO LAWN MOWERS WITH ENGINE PROBLEMS.1. A TECUMSEH VLV60 502013C THAT HAS THE THREADS ON THE TOP OF THE SHAFT STRIPPED, A REPAIR PLACE TRIED TO RUN THE THREADS BUT STILL WILL NOT HOLD THE NUT. THE MOWER IS AN ARIENS AND THE ENGINE 6HP. CAN IT BE REPAIRED OR WHAT ENGINE WILL REPLACE IT. TECUMSEH SAYS TO ASK ARIENS AND ARIENS ISN'T TOO HELPFUL. ENGINES OF THIS SIZE CAN BE REPLACED FOR AROUND $200 IF I CAN FIND THE NEW REPLACEMENT.

2. I ALSO HAVE A SCOTTS MADE BY JOHN DEERE WITH A B&S 6.5 INTEK ENGINE MODEL 121602 0269 E1 991203FA ENGINE. IT ALWAYS SMOKED WHEN FIRST STARTED THAN MOST OF THE TIME UNTIL IT FAILED. WITH OUT SEEING IT THE REPAIR SHOP SAID IT WOULD BE VALVE SLEEVES AND TO FORGET THE ENGINE. COULD THIS BE REPAIRED OR WHAT ENGINE WOULD REPLACE THE ONE LISTED.

THANK YOU

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-03, 09:27 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like the top one is finished and the replacement shaft may eclipse the cost of a new motor with labor.

On the second one, it sounds like it might be worth a go at it. The date code you provide is a 1999 date code. Surprised it's smoking. Was it abused? Does it have a breather? Have you overfilled the crankcase by chance?

Old 07-23-03, 11:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think you will be better off replacing BOTH engines. They can both be had for $200.00 or so. These small hp engines don't take the best to rebuilds, and with the $$ spent on repairs, you could put it to better use by buying a new one, unless you want to repair them yourself. If so, we can help.

Old 07-24-03, 07:01 PM
Tcumcman
Visiting Guest
Grampy,

Ariens typically uses a "splined" 1" crankshaft, which makes
it kinda unique. You can replace it with a 7/8" X 3 5/32"
crankshaft engine, which is pretty "universal". Then, replace
the Ariens blade adapter with a Snapper set-up, even using
the Snapper self-propel pulley if yours is self-propelled. The
Ariens blade fits the Snapper blade adapter just as it does
the Ariens' one. You can find engines that meet these specs
for VERY CHEAP prices on the internet. Ariens is one of the
"premium" walk-behind mowers that IS WORTH re-powering
and maybe this will help with that. I've done it this way....
MANY TIMES.

Tcumcman