String Trimmer

Old 07-23-03, 07:09 PM
jkortikere
Visiting Guest
Trimmer Ryobi 700 R

I have a Trimmer Ryobi 700 R. I need to replace the bump head. But the bump knob is really stuck. Any suggestions on how to remove it?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-03, 11:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not sure on your model, but some trimmers have left hand threads for the bump knob. Are you sure you are turning it the right direction?

Old 07-26-03, 05:13 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: jkortikere

I moved your question out of the lawn forum and into this small engine forum. Much more likely to obtain several replies since your question pertains to outdoor power equipment and is not a lawn topic.

Knowing which direction to turn the knob is the most critical consideration. Once that can be established, depending upon the size of the knob, a small strap wrench or channel wrench <also commonly refered to as a water pump pliers, etc> may be needed.

Hold the outter case head with one hand or the strap wrench than with either of the wrenchs mentioned above gently but firmly turn the knob in the correct direction.

The above instructions is only a suggestion in place of the approved method when the proper tools are not available. Be advised that damage to the knob can occur if the procedure is not done carefully or the knob is not turned in the correct unthreading direction.

Once the cap is removed, to remove the entire head assembly may require a thin walled opened ended wrench or another specialty tool designed for that brand machine and that specific string head.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Search this Thread