Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

drive belt removal

Visiting Guest

07-24-03, 02:20 AM   #1  
wallyk
How do I remove drive belt on JD 116

I have a JD 116 hydrostatic lawn tractor and when I tried to go foward the transmission moved the tractor about 6" and then stopped. I tried reverse and same thing happened. I checked underneath and noticed that the drive belt is very loose and extremely cracked and in some spots it's actually down to the flat part on the outside of the belt.
My problem is getting the belt off where it goes around the gear shaft for the steering mechanism. There is a shaft that runs from the cogged gears to a crossbar attached to each side of the frame and in turn there is a connecting rod from this crossbar to the left front tire.. I can't seem to get past the shaft from the steering shaft cog to remove the belt. Does anyone know what to do??

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-24-03, 08:29 PM   #2  
Hello wallyk!

I can't picture the 116 in my head, but usually there is no major disassembly to replace a drive belt. Sometimes on JD tractors, LXs in particular, the drag link has to be removed at one end to replace the drive belt.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread