Sheared flywheel key

Old 07-20-03, 04:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sheared flywheel key

I lent my Sears 6.5 hp mower to my neighbor (young lady) and she must have been mowing rocks as the machine would not start after I got it back. The key in the flywheel is sheared and the flywheel is 90 degrees off. I tried the pry/hammer solution but no good. The flywheel appears to be cast aluminum. There is a boss on the flywheel with three 1/4" holes in a circumference around the shaft. I assume these holes need to be tapped to recieve puller bolts. The three holes are shallow (3/8").

Has anybody had any experience tapping these holes? I assume they are set for 1/4 - 20 or 1/4 - 28 threads. Where do I get the puller I need to remove the flywheel? Sears?

Any help here will be greatly appreciated.

Tony

Old 07-20-03, 06:08 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello and Welcome aja8888 to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and the Small Engine forum.

Small engine pullers can be obtained at most small engine or lawn mower repair shops. Small engine repair parts, generic repair manuals and additional help are also all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops in your area. Shops and dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

The specific puller will have the dies to cut the threads. They are specially made for the intended purpose. Using the correct pullers is a very good method and worth the small cost to obtain.

Reminder. When and if you visit a shop, obtain the flywheel key too. Be sure to have the model and serial numbers.

There are alternate methods to removing a flywheel without using a puller. However, not having enough experience can cuase severe damage or break the flywheel. Best to use the puller.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Old 07-20-03, 06:11 PM
Tcumcman
Visiting Guest
Flywheel Removal

Tony,

A couple of ways to remove the flywheel...Most popular way
is using a flywheel knocker tool (Tec #670169). Screw down
onto crank to the flywheel and then back off a turn or so.
Prying under the flywheel with a screwdriver, hit the knocker
with a hammer and this will break the flywheel loose from
the taper of the crankshaft. The key being sheared might
make it bit harder to break loose...but it will. 2nd way is to
use a puller (Tec# 670306) which is a triangular shaped
puller using self-tapping bolts. Screw the bolts into the
holes until tight, and then turn center bolt on crank which
pulls the flywheel loose from the taper. If your carburetor
is plastic...flywheel key is Tec# 611154. If standard metal
type float bowl carb...use Tec# 611004. Good luck !!

Tcumcman

Old 07-20-03, 08:26 PM
Thumbs up Thanks!

Boy, you folks are great!

I think I'll go the puller route as it is "without Hammer" ( I might get carried away). Not really; I just need to have a puller in my tool arsenal since I have most everything else. I will be out of town until next Friday so I can't do much until the weekend. I'll post back here with my results.

Many thanks!

Tony

Old 07-21-03, 12:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Tony!

A harmonic balancer puller also works just as well, but you will need to tap the holes in the flywheel to accept bolt threads. Harmonic balancer pullers are available at most auto parts stores for a small price.

Old 07-25-03, 01:17 PM
Talking Success!

Pulled the flywheel, cleaned up the flywheel bore that the key damaged, stuck in new $2.16 (Sears) key, reassembled the machine and she started on the first pull!

You folks are great! Many thanks and keep up this great board!

Tony

Old 07-25-03, 05:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Glad you got it fixed!

Take care!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: