Lawn Tractor

Old 07-25-03, 10:32 AM
Montgomery Ward Mower

I am working on a lawn tractor I am told is made by MTD for the above company. I have solved a declutching problem by finding the incorrect pulley installed on the engine output shaft. I had to remove a spring to get the belts to the "clutch" loose enough to replace the pulley, and to replace one that was about to break. With everything back in place, I am finding the spring a bit of a problem to reattach to the clutch and the hanger on the left side of the the tractor. a vicegrip and a stong arm might work, but Im thinking there must be a "right" way to attach this spring safely. thanks in advance for any Ideas! Mod #TMO 33905A
/G279L4

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-03, 05:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello WML13!

I have found that a piece of rope...small diameter, but strong (like pull rope) tied in a big loop works well for reattatching springs. Just hook the spring on the loop and pull the rope until the spring stretches to where you want to connect it.

Old 07-25-03, 06:22 PM
Springs

Well, believe it or not, I tried that trick myself before I wrote the original post. This spring was far too strong, and had too far to go to hook it back without some serious leverage. I got it back with a long steel rod and two vise grips. A punch and a hammer got the hook part into the bracket when I got close to it. But thanks anyway!