edger

Old 07-26-03, 11:25 AM
benbroom
Visiting Guest
Question edger

Hi
I have a craftsman gasoline edger model#358.797450 it is about 5 years old. The other day while edging I experienced a loud banging noise in the area of the blade assembly. I turned it off and turned the blade by hand it kept hanging up at a spot on each full turn. I took the drive shaft assembly apart but the shaft did not seem to be bent. Any ideas?

Benbroom

Old 07-26-03, 01:15 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello, edger.

I am going to move your post up to small engines where you will be better positioned to get some help with your gasoline trimmer.

Old 07-27-03, 12:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello benbroom!

Sounds to me like you have a bent blade, bent shield, or a worn bushing. Most likely one of the first two. Does only one end of the blade hit, and the other end misses? If so, probably a bent blade. If not, probably a bent guard.

Old 08-01-03, 09:35 AM
benbroom
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the reply but the problem is not with the blade assembly. I removed the blade and turned the drive shaft by hand and it still hung up at least once during each revolution

Old 08-02-03, 09:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Does this edger have a belt going to the shaft with the blade attatched? If this shaft is the one with the rough spot, it probably has bad bearings or bushings in the housing.

Old 08-03-03, 06:10 AM
buttlint
Visiting Guest
Hi benbroom,

The edger that you have is a Poulon manufactured (PE 550) 2-cycle edger. (gray instead of green) Behind the blade, and under the cover is the gear box. There is a large gear and a small pinion that can loose some teeth. (I dont see a breakdown showing that gear set, at the sears site, they just list it as "gearbox assy")

I seem to remember, that they are available, (drive gear and pinion only) thru poulon/weedeater dealers. The problem is the cost of repair usually exceeds the value of the unit. Another problem is getting the drive pinion off of the clutch. The bolt that holds the pinion to the clutch drum is locktited, and a bear to remove. (you cant heat it because of the plastic around it, and you cant get a grip on the clutch to hold it from turning.)

But if a stripped drive gear is actually the problem, and the pinion is still in good shape, you can just replace the drive gear, and toss the new pinion. Or keep your eye open on trash day for one that someone has tossed (gray or green, the parts are the same) The odds are the gearbox will be in good shape. (They usually trash the cylinders from air leaks, or the engine cases melt around the starter pulley, long before the gearbox fails.) There were a billion of them manufactured, and finding a junk one shouldnt be that difficult. (yard sales, behind shops, flea markets etc.)

Although they are not a professional piece of equipment, they do have some merits, and may be worth saving. (If you can keep the cost of repair down.) They do a good job, are light and easy to use and store. Good luck, 'lint.

Old 08-03-03, 02:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ohhhh, a trimmer/style edger. I was thinking of a regular edger. Thanks for adding that info 'lint!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: