Engine Running Problem

Old 07-26-03, 01:40 PM
16hp Briggs Vanguard problem

My tractor refused to run today. It's a six year old Cub Cadet with a 16hp Briggs Vanguard engine.

It ran great last week and it still had the same gas today.
It still starts fine, but stalls after a few seconds. When I give it throttle, it dies as if I turned the key off just as the RPMs start to rise.

I can keep it going by working the choke and it doesn't care if it's hot or cold. There's 250 hours on the engine.

I removed and checked the gas tank and fuel line up to the pump and tried new gas. I also changed the fuel filter.

Am I correct in thinking this is a fuel problem?

Any ideas?

Thanks all!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-03, 05:30 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Adam63. Welcome to the Small Engine forum.

Based on the problem description & having to keep the choke on or working it to keep the engine running, the carb is not getting enough fuel into to or it is restricted internally.

A complete carb overhaul is than required. The basic instructions and additional information can be found in reading any of the many alreadyasked question pertaining to engine running problems. Carb info is contained within them.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts, generic repair manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops in your area. Shops and dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck.
Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Old 07-27-03, 12:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Adam!

Is this a one cylinder, or twin cylinder? If twin cylinder, is it opposed twin or "v" twin? It is a carb problem, and I can give you better details if I know what engine you have. Model # of the engine will also tell me what you have.

Old 07-27-03, 05:46 AM
Thanks Cheese.

Yeah, it's a V-Twin. Model # 303447 (type 1147-A1).

For what it's worth, I've had the the top of the carb off already so that the two floats on either side were exposed. I really didn't know where to go from there so I put it back together.

I guess I'll go out and see if I can take it down further.

Thanks again!

Old 07-27-03, 08:43 AM
Just a follow up here.

I took the top of the carb off and removed the float assembly. Then I unscrewed the jet (is this the only one?) and soaked it in carburetor cleaner and blew it out with my compressor and poked around the holes with a needle. It all looked good.

I put everything back together and fired it up. I ran a little bit better. It idled without stalling at least.

I took a break and then remembered that there was a small black plastic finger knob down low on the carb that had maybe 90 degrees of allowable adjustment. It has the letters AD on it. I fired it up and worked the choke and that knob back and forth and suddenly it started running pretty good. I don't know if that knob had anything to do with it, but hey, it works.

Any clue as to what that knob is?

Also, here's a link to a pic of my carburetor. There's an "L" shaped hose fitting on the left hand side of the picture. There appears to be nothing going to it and is open to the inside of the carb.

Is this right? Is there positive ventilation to keep debris out or should it be plugged??

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/sarkatch/carburetor/

Thanks all.

Old 07-27-03, 10:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the black finger knob is the idle mixture screw. There may well have been a piece of trash stuck in it and when you worked it back and forth, the trash sucked through.

The elbow fitting you described, if it is metal and small diameter, then it is probably a bowl vent, which you do not want to plug.