Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Engine Starting Problem

Visiting Guest

07-27-03, 06:51 AM   #1  
Honeydue
3.5 HP Tech. Starting Problem

Yesterday I bought a 3.5 HP Tech. push mower at a garage sale for $5. It was not used much but had not been ran for a couple of seasons. I thought that a simple carb. rebuild would have it up and going, but now.... I am still not able to keep it running without dumping gas down the air intake or using starting fluid. It will run for several seconds and then quit. I cleaned the carb with cleaner and replaced the needle valve in the float bowl.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

Sponsored Links
Admin, Forums Host & Manager

CAL

07-27-03, 07:32 AM   #2  
Hello Honeydue. Welcome to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Based on the information provided, the carb fuel ports and passages are still plugged up.

Remove and disassemble the carb again and look for tiny holes in the center brass screw. Possibly 2 holes in the pot metal center extension that the screw threads into.

Also clear the center extension orifice and any other ports in this location. Use the plastic extension tube provided with a can of automotive carb cleaner.

Place the plastic tube into or up against any other port {Hole} and allow the pressurized canned cleaner fluid to clear the ports.
Spray under the caps in the carb body. There are fuel passages under them.

Check and clear the air intake vent hole on top of the carb bodies upper half. The hole is extremely tiny but must be opened. It allows air to enter the carbs fuel bowl or diaphram area depending upon which type of carb it is. All carbs have one.

Use EYE PROTECTION during this procedure.

Also check and insure the needles seat is correctly installed in the fuel entry port and the needle is correctly installed on the float. The float must be level to the carb body when the carb body is inverted upside down.

Check the float and be sure it does not have fuel inside it. If it does, it has a hole in it and it must be replaced.

Most likely I have not covered all of the potential problems. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may offer additional suggestions, advice & help. Check back several times for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button to add any and all additional information, etc. By doing so, the additional information you add will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Regards and Good Luck, Small Engine Forum Host & Moderator
Sharp Advice.....TCB4U2B2B.....Company Enterprises.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Efficient Services....
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.

Visiting Guest

07-27-03, 08:11 AM   #3  
Honeydue
Thanks, got it going, but.... It seems to still run a little rough and the RPMs seem a little slow. Wondering if I might have hooked the throttle linkage up in the wrong hole on the carb. None of the holes are worn so I'm not sure which one it was hooked to? Your thoughts...

Don

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-27-03, 10:25 PM   #4  
Try connecting the linkage to the top hole in the governor arm.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread