Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

engine running problems

TX

07-31-03, 12:26 PM   #1  
engine running problems

Hello,
have a Scotts rider that starts fine. Engine sounds a bit off though. After about a minute white smoke start pouring out the
exhaust
kohler 20 horse,
family : skh 624 u1g2rb
Model :cv 20 s
Spec # 65556
Disp (cc) 624
Serial # 2919700601

any ideas, and could it be done with a little help from my friends
(that is you)

thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-31-03, 09:36 PM   #2  
Hello mrblue!

There are a few possibilities. Check the oil level. If it is overfull, smell the oil. If it smells like gas, you have a carb leak. Fix the leaky needle in the carb and drain and replace the oil if that seems to be the problem. If the oil is too full, but doesn't smell like gas, drain it to the proper level. Also it could be that you have a blown head gasket.

Did the problem start all of a sudden, while using it, or over time gradually worsening, or was it running fine one time you used it, you put it up, and the next time it started this right from the start?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TX

08-01-03, 06:30 PM   #3  
hey cheese,
Well the oil level looks fine, but kinda has a gas smell (maybe i am just hoping). the problem did start suddenly though. If the oil level is fine does that mean my chances of head gasket are pretty sure? Like i say, plenty of white smoke after a minute. What sucks is not to many real hours of use on this engine. Looks brand new but acts old now.

08-02-03, 02:56 AM   #4  
For what it's worth, a kohler blowing a head gasket isn't too uncommon. Do you have good compression? Have you noticed a power decrease?

TX

08-02-03, 08:22 AM   #5  
Well i have not checked compression,
It will run at high speed fine, but does try and shut down when you put a heavy load on it. I will try and get a compression checker as i have a boat to look at to. thanks for the help

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-02-03, 09:26 PM   #6  
A blown head gasket would be a pretty good place to lay the blame. Check compression as mentioned, I think that is where the problem will be. I don't know how old the engine is, but are you aware that Kohler engines are covered by warranty for 2 years?

God bless!

TX

08-03-03, 06:46 PM   #7  
thanks,
Well friend came over and we looked at the oil level again, and it is just about 3/16 in. above the full line, and does have a slight smell of gas. The thing that gets me is we took of the breather and there was a small bowl like attachment to the oustide of the enine where the carb is that had oil in it. (have no clue what that is). Also can i get by without a manual if i do the head gasket? Will look at in a couple of days, just been busy. thanks

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-03-03, 07:37 PM   #8  
If the oil DOES smell like gas, leave the head gaskets alone and repair the fuel leak. The fuel will make the oil so thin that it leaks past the rings and causes the engine to smoke. Start by cleaning the carburetor and replacing the float needle. Pull the crankcase hose off of the fuel pump and see if any gas drips out. If so, the fuel pump is what is leaking. Repair it if so. Usually the carb is the culprit. Then drain the oil, and refill and test.

God bless!

TX

08-06-03, 06:04 PM   #9  
We changed the oil, then we took the carb off and cleaned it,the moter does not have many hours of work under its belt(3-4 months). went ahead and put two new plugs in it, it started better and it is not pouring out white smoke like it was. there is a slight smoking, but the thing we noticed is the plug on the right side of the motor is not firing at all.(this is one of the reasons we got new plugs)_After running for a few minutes we felt the plugs, one was hot the other was cold.the motor had a kind of hard knocking sound when the PTO was pulled and seemes to want to die after starting to cut grass,of course we are assuming that is due to a cylinder not firing. the carb was not dirty,as the motor is fairly new, however we did download the service manual and the owners manual. Just to let you know ,the mower belongs to my parents, they are elderly,this is why the warranty was expired before anything was done.also Mr Blue has yet to get the compression checker, that will probably be this weekend.We really apreciate your input.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-06-03, 06:16 PM   #10  
One plug is not firing? As in, you pulled the plug and watched for spark? Sounds like you might have some big problems. A compression test will tell more of the story. These engines aren't very cheap...around $650.00, so if one side of the engine came apart, it may be worth trying to rebuild.

God bless!

TX

08-11-03, 06:49 PM   #11  
Hello Cheese.
Well we have a comp. checker now.. Yes we pulled the plug and it does spark. The plug that seems cold after running has a compresion of about 102, and the other side has about 123. Does that help any? We appreciate all of your help.
Mrblue

Visiting Guest

08-12-03, 07:14 AM   #12  
Futures1
A thought...

Some of those engines had an improper valve stem clearance. The valves would hang up as the temperature increased and had to be honed for more clearance. Try your compression test on a HOT engine.

Search this Thread