leaky oil seal

Old 07-31-03, 09:49 PM
leaky oil seal

one of my best engines a 1966 briggs 3hp 20in. cut is leaking oil at bottom of crankshaft. do i have to pull the base flange to get to the seal? i can see the seal from the bottom. will i have to to replace the flange gasket also? if the flange is stuck to the crankcase how can i pry them apart without causing damage. if i do get it apart and get the parts how much tourque do i use on flange bolts? what is best way to get flange bolts off without breaking them or stripping them? is the oil seal sitting in there like a car or deck bearing where you have to tap them out and back in. the oil seal looks like it is enclosed by a metal ring. this is a great engine and i really would like to fix this old timer without messing it up.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-03, 09:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello l.mithcell!

No, you dont even have to remove the engine from the frame. Just remove everything that is attatched to the crankshaft on the pto end and use a seal puller or a screwdriver to pull/pry it out. Be careful not to scratch the crankshaft or the seal housing though, or you will have a leak from now on. When you get the old one out, install the new one, being careful to install it evenly and not distort it.

Search this Thread