Belt Replacement

Old 08-02-03, 05:29 AM
Question Changing Drive Belt on Murray 30" rider

I bought a new drive belt, removed the mower deck,followed the owner's manual and removed the old belt which was stretched, put on the new one but I cannot get it over the drive pulley.
The new belt is on the stack pulley and the idler pulley.
Any suggestions on how to get the belt over the drive pulley?
I am so close that and I will try and complete the installation today.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-03, 08:00 AM
Admin Emeritus
Talking My Two Cents

Hello maosla. Welcome to our Do-It-Yourself Web Site and our Small Engine forum.

Belt replacement is rather generic to many machines. If there is no means to loosen a pulley or part to slip the belt onto the pulley, use the mechanics method....

Put the belt onto all pulleys possible and then "walk" or "slip" it onto the last pulley be holding it on the rim of that pulley while turning the pulley.

Applying upwards pressure on the belt while rotating the pulley or parts slips the belt on. Use of a screw drive may be necessary.

It's a trick used often. Hand rotating requires some caution using hands and fingers. Be sure to remove the spark plug wire and pay close attention to what is rotating and there relationship to your fingers, hand, clothing sleeves, etc.

Not to worry if force is needed. if the belt is on all the other pulleys correctly, belts are strong enough to take the force to most degrees. If excessive force is required or the belt is not able to stretch that far, something else is wrong.

There is another belt question just beneath yours. Reading that question and the replies offered within it may provide additional helpful information.

Your question was also reworded & generalized to simply "belt replacement" for the benefit of all readers needing info on belt replacements. They are almost the same on any machine.

Most likely I haven't covered all of the possibilities. The other resident small engine service and repair professionals may be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck.
Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Old 08-02-03, 07:40 PM
"Put the belt onto all pulleys possible and then "walk" or "slip" it onto the last pulley be holding it on the rim of that pulley while turning the pulley".
Thanks for the tip. That is exactly what I did and I was able to the get the belt on. The drive pulley was the largest and the least accessible. So I threaded the belt onto that pulley first, then the idler pulley and then to the smallest pulley which was the stack pulley. Then I rotated the belt to its longest length and that rotated the stack pulley until it snapped into the grove.
I was able to use the mower today and it worked like well.