Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Carb Question

08-06-03, 02:30 AM   #1  
pickup tube 3.5 B&S

I have a 1968 gas ( B&S ) reel mower with the engine stuck. I want to put a newer 3.5 B&S on it. I need to do some carb work on the newer engine. Guestion : Do all these pickup tubes just pull out of the carb? The screen seems to be clogged. The screen looks clean, but I cannot seem to blow through it. I think the gas has maybe varnished the screen. the engine had been on a shelf for a long time. I am hoping that cleaning the screen will tell me if I want to go further with a rebuild. It sounds good when running on primer gas porued directly into the carb. Will spray carb cleaner clean the screen and not eat the plastic? Trying to avoid having to pull the tube out.

Tx

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-06-03, 06:25 PM   #2  
Hi Boman!

Spray carb cleaner will work fine..watch your eyes! The tube should pull out, but it may break or distort if you do get it out.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

08-07-03, 03:13 AM   #3  
Hey Cheese, good to hear from ya' and thanks for the reply.

may break or distort

Thats what I was concerned about.

watch your eyes!

Know what you mean! I have sprayed that stuff in one hole and have it spray back at me through another hole.

I thought I would spray the screen itself then blow it off with an air hose. If I can it to pick a little up, Maybe I can keep it running and clean the inside out by repeatedly spraying the carb with the cleaner. If not, I will diassemble,soak it and replace the carb kit.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-07-03, 08:45 PM   #4  
That should work well...The pickup tubes are replaceable, so you might try twisting and pulling to get it out, and if it breaks, get a new one. (If the carb cleaner doesn't do the trick).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread