Engine Threw a Rod

Old 08-06-03, 01:40 PM
BrianP1
Visiting Guest
John Deere Engine Threw a Rod

I have a 4 year old JD LX176 with a 14hp engine which just threw a rod and cracked the block. It was very well maintained (by the JD dealer) and not abused. I routinely checked the oil levels.

Other than a low oil level which I know it wasn't, what else could have caused this? Obviously, I expected a JD to last a lot longer than 4 years.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-03, 06:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello BrianP1!

That is unbelievable! If it wasn't low on oil, check the cooling fins hidden by the air shields. If they are clogged with debris, it would have overheated and possibly siezed because of that. Generally those 14hp kawasakis outlast the entire mower, and get taken off the worn out mower and stuck on another frame to go again. They are nearly bulletproof. Are you going to rebuild it, or get another engine? I have never seen a 14hp kawasaki sling a rod in my 15 years of small engine repair.

Old 08-07-03, 06:42 AM
BrianP1
Visiting Guest
Right now, the tractor is at the dealer. They want $2,000 to repair which I can't justify. I filed a complaint with JD and I'm waiting to hear back to see if they will offer any assistance. Looks like I'll be buying something new.

Old 08-07-03, 08:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
$2000.00!!!!!!???? YEEEOOOWW!!!

No way...don't let them gouge you like that! If you can't find an engine for less than $500.00, email me. I will help you get one. That is outrageous. There is maybe 30 minutes of work involved in replacing the engine, so what could they be charging all this for? I assume they must be replacing it rather than trying to rebuild it if they want that much, which is still over a grand too high.

[email protected]