Crankcase Ventilation

Old 08-09-03, 06:32 PM
handymark
Visiting Guest
Crankcase Ventilation

I have a small Tecumshe engine on a pressure washer. It has run poorly and been leaking oil for quite some time, even though it has very few hours on it. I originally thought the leak was where the two halves mate. I replaced the gasket, but it didn't help.

Then I noticed the leak was on the underside at the head. I took the head off and there was oil in the conbustion chamer (I assume this was why it was running so poorly). A few of the head bolts were barely tight. There were no lock washers.

With the head off I could turn the crank and see the oil level change with the piston movement. I then found a crankcase valve and removed it. The oil stoppped moving and the oil ceased to move into the combustion chamber.

Inspection of the valve looked OK. A simple one way valve with a rubber flapper. The flapper seems to move easily when pushed. I don't understand what is wrong? I think this was my problem, but can't see what is making the valve fail.

Also, why no lock washers on the head bolts. They obviously need them. Any problem with adding them?

Following is the engine information:

Model: TVS 115
Serial: 5609 7 E (C)

mfg date: 7154J

Any help is greatly apppreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-03, 11:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Handymark!

Clean the pcv valve or replace it if you think it is defective. Normally they don't give much trouble though, and you should be able to detect some movement of oil when turning the engine over.

I don't reccomend lock washers on the head bolts. One reason is that the lock washers distort the torque readings by a fair amount. Clean the threads well and use blue locktite on them when reinstalling them. Also use a new head gasket.