Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Spark plug?


Jack B.'s Avatar
Member

Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 590
AL

08-09-03, 07:27 PM   #1  
Spark plug?

I have a Homelite string trimmer that slowly got to where it was VERY hard to start. I pulled the plug and grounded it and got a fat blue spark. Anyway, I changed out the plug and it really runs fine now. Is this a case where a "spark plug under pressure tester" would have showed up something?

 
Sponsored Links
cheese's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator

Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 16,571
GA

08-09-03, 10:56 PM   #2  
Possibly...don't know for sure. Sometimes these things happen for wierd reasons.


"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

 
Futures1's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

08-12-03, 08:05 AM   #3  
Futures1
Chances are it would have showed.

Pick up a spark tester at a small engine dealer, they have a 1/4 inch or more gap and will usually give you a go or no go. I assume your trimmer is a 2 cycle (Gas & Oil mix). Look for oil between the porcelain and electrode of the plug. This is usually the indicator of a "grounded spark under compression" condition. You can sometimes get the plug to fire by cleaning out the oil with alcohol or lacquer thinner !!. Best to keep a spare plug on hand for 2 strokes )
Dick S.

 
Search this Thread