Starting Problem

Old 08-10-03, 03:44 PM
hardstart
Visiting Guest
lawn mower 6hp b&s will not start

I have a snapper lawn mower with a 6hp b&s engine that will not start. I have tried checking for spark and its ok. I have changed plugs still ng. I have primed with carb cleaner into the plug opening and the carb and this did not work. I have checked for compression and have compared the readings with another b&s engine both have 60 psi after about 3 pulls. I have checked the oil level and its ok. I have a model 12h802 type 1531-21 code 97022558 which has electronic ignition and I thought the shear pin was bad so I removed the flywheel (check timing) put it was ok. Is there any timing adjustment?
I am running out of ideas.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-03, 10:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello hardstart!

Welcome to the small engines forum!

If you have spark, and the flywheel key is ok, and compression, then it should at least attempt to start with a shot of gas in the spark plug hole. The only reasons I can think of that would keep it from trying to start would be if the throttle were closed, choke stuck shut, or exhaust clogged. Check these things out and let us know. Are your valves opening and closing?

Old 08-12-03, 07:30 AM
Futures1
Visiting Guest
Try this;

Remove the spark plug and squirt a bit of Fresh fuel into the plug hole. If it fires or kicks over as if it wants to start, your problem is fuel related !! If it does kick over, let me know and i can suggest how to proceed !! Also check your blade to be sure that it is secure on the shaft, this will also cause hard starting.
And when you checked for spark, did you use a spark testor with at least 1/4 inch of gap. These can be purchased from most Briggs or
or small engine/auto shops !!

Dick S.