Generator Output Question

Old 08-11-03, 08:12 PM
scotter
Visiting Guest
Honda Generator

Hello Guys
i have a honda em600 generator that has erratic output at the 120 volt output plug When u check it with a meter it jumps all over the place like from 56 volts to well into the hundred and ninteys.if i hold the throttle still it seems to be more consistant output. the throttle shaft is worn and therefore the idle is a little erratic. I guess my question is can the slight surging in the idle cause the output to jump all over the place. also when i put a load on it it is unable to maintain proper output ,any input greatly appreacated

Old 08-12-03, 12:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello scotter!

Sounds like an electrical problem in the genset instead of an engine problem. I have no expertise in the internal workings of a generator, maybe someone here can give you some advice. I believe many electric motor repair shops will work on gensets too.

Old 08-12-03, 06:28 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: scotter

Erratic electrical output can have serveral causes. Engine RPM speed is critical to maintain constant output. The engine RPM should be at a constant 3600 revs per minute. Speed variations will cause fluctuations in current output.

Best first attempt to correct this may be to change out the recepticule and insure the connections are tight. Also check all connections of wire terminals, etc.

If this does not correct or improve the condition, engine speed will have to be control precisely. Which means the cause of varing speed will have to be corrected. No other solution will work be to control engine speed assuming all else is correct.

If the throttle shaft worn, we are left to assume the engine is older, wornout or had some repairs made??? Not stated in your question.

Idle? Are your sure? Voltage output test should be done at engine speed set by the gov set speed which should be 3600. If the engine returns to idle when there is no load on it, test with a load.

Safety Reminder. You are dealing with AC voltage at all times. Therefore use caution at all times when the engine is running and tests are being down. Failure to do so can be shocking...

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically.

Regards & Good Luck. Web Site Host & Small Engine Forum Moderator.
"Accurate Power Equipment Company"
Small Engine Diagnostics Services and Repair.
Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Old 08-13-03, 09:21 PM
scotter
Visiting Guest
hello guys
it seems that if i hold idle still then output is stable ,the machine is about 15 years old , and the carb is no longer available.does any body know the proper procedure for setting the govener on this old girl?.

Old 08-13-03, 11:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
What model# engine do you have? It may just need a good cleaning and repair. Governors don't usually need setting after assembly at the factory. Usually surging is an indication of carb problems, and even if your throttle shaft is a bit loose, you can usually get a decent constant speed, unless the wear is quite sloppy.

Old 08-15-03, 07:12 AM
scotter
Visiting Guest
I will find engine # , If i hold the throttle steady at 3750 rpm the output is 120 volts , but when u put on load it drops like govener not working, i think somebody was fooling with it before .

Old 08-18-03, 08:42 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Scotter

Very possible the gov or spring to the gov etc is causing the problem. The engine speed must remain constant to maintain the full current output, as mentioned prior.

When a load is applied, the gov should respond to the load and quickly adjust engine speed back to the set max limit. Which should be 3600 rpms.

If this is not happening automatically, than the problem could be caused by the gov. In some cases but not all, the spring is incorrectly located if it was removed prior.

The springs tension is stretched. Meaning strecthed out too far from it's original shape. The ends of the spring are altered. Not curved as originally made, etc.

Other causes may be the gov speed is set incorrectly or there may be dirt, debris, etc on the linkage or other parts. Anything associated with speed control is likely to cause the problem.

Some but not all generators will run at an engine speed of 3600 and the electrical output will be 140+ volts. When a light load is applied the engine speed does not vary much if the load is light.

However, the voltage will drop equal to the current draw. Providing the load is light and does not cause the voltage to drop below 120. Below 120 volts, the engine responds as expected.

I have such a gen. Set correctly, runs very well and is designed to operate as just described. Also have one that idles when no load is applied. The referrences made are done so soley to illustrate differences between some gen sets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: