Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2 cycle blower boggs down

Visiting Guest

08-13-03, 10:41 AM   #1  
drozman
2 cycle blower boggs down

i have a Sears 2 cycle leaf blower that starts up ok at first, runs at high speed like it should for a couple of minutes, then starts losing power. I've changed the spark plug and cleaned the air filter. It seems that when the blower is running, there is a fine mist of gasoline coming back out through the choke. Is this mist normal, and what is the cause of the engine losing power after a few minutes?

Sponsored Links

08-13-03, 07:10 PM   #2  
This is most deffinetly not normal. You might have a broken seal in the choke area. And as for the engine bogging down, its probably because so much gass is getting spraid onto it.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-13-03, 11:22 PM   #3  
Hello drozman!

Welcome to the small engines forum!

Your description of the problem is good enough for me to say that I am pretty sure your exhaust is partially clogged. This lets the engine run, but the pressure that develops after running for a few seconds causes a pulsing effect at the carb throat, causing gas to spray into, and out of the engine. Remove the muffler, disassemble it if possible, and clean it out well. There should be a screen in it that is probably caked up with carbon buildup. A wire wheel will brush it out, and a can of carb cleaner may help clean it out.

Let us know what you find!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-14-03, 08:13 AM   #4  
drozman
Thanks, I think that's the problem. I just took the engine cover off, cleaned the screen on the exhaust and sprayed a little gumout into the exhaust port. I ran the engine for about 10 minutes and it did fine. Is this something that is usual maintenance or is it caused by too much oil in the mix?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-15-03, 12:12 AM   #5  
It is a common problem. It can be caused by too much oil in the mixture, but not always caused by that. Running the engine at lower than full throttle allows the carbon to build up rather than burn off, so that is another possible cause. If the carb is out of adjustment and allowing the engine to run too rich, that would also cause it. If it runs good, don't worry. Just make sure you have the correct oil/fuel ratio and remember what it does when the exhaust stops up so that you'll know what to do next time!

Glad we were able to help!

Take care!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread