OHV Leak

Old 08-13-03, 07:46 PM
OHV Leak

Hi I have a Scots walk behind Mower. It was leaking oil from the OHV area. So I took it apart replaced the head gasket. A few bolts would not tigten, so I replaced them with a couple bolts laying around and realised I needed to put a nut on a couple of them cause they would not tighten either. Now, it is as tight as that thing that any man could tighten it. Guess what, after all that waisted time and money, its still leaking oil out of the OHV area.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-03, 11:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Terminator20!

Can you tell where the oil is leaking from specifically? Could it be coming from the sump cover gasket, or maybe the pcv system? What brand, HP, and model# is the engine?

Old 08-14-03, 09:24 AM
The engine is a [email protected]

There was two different number on the face plate

121602-0121-E1

Its leaking where the OHV cover touches the metal of where its bolted onto. Thats the best way to describe it. And I notice that when I put the gasket on I did it right, but what must have happened was that when I tightened the bolts it must have torn the gasket where the bolts are. I can see pieces of it hanging down from it. Over looking through peoples threads I found that someone mentioned this stuff called lock tight or something like that. Mabie thats what I should have gotten to go with that gasket. Of course, at the time I had no knloedge of it.

Old 08-14-03, 01:44 PM
matm347
Visiting Guest
Hmmm, The factory bolts should have no problems being able to snug up, I would investigate that further.

But it sounds like you have a "valve cover" gasket leak.
The replacement gasket should work fine, another alternative is to get some RTV and make your own.

It sounds like the threads may be stripped not allowing proper torque to create a seal.

Lock-tite is a thread locking compound, and is intended to keep bolts from vibrating loose. It would not help your situation any.

Old 08-14-03, 03:23 PM
Now with the information I have given you cheese. Could you also give me some information too on what I can do. Cause, I am thinking on just sending it to the shop cause I have been running it while it leaks a little bit of oil because I have a lawn mowing service to do.

Old 08-15-03, 12:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the valve cover gasket is leaking instead of the head gasket. As mentioned, you might try some RTV silicone to help make the seal. I guess your threads in the head are stripped. A nut on the end of the bolts should do OK, like you have it, but don't overtighten. Overtightening will cause more problems, if it hasn't happened already. (apparently they were overtightened already since the threads in the head are stripped).

Old 08-15-03, 05:50 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
If the valve cover bolt threads in the head are stripped an inexpensive fix is a heli-coil kit. If I remember right they are 1/4-20 threads but do take a bolt shopping to be sure. There is a torque spec on these bolts but and it isn't much.....Mike