coil

Old 08-16-03, 09:47 PM
coil

i have 12hp briggs on a 38 in. murray. i had been mowing for about 40 mins. in 95* heat when engine stopped cold turkey. i ran another plug to coil wire and grounded it looking for spark while cranking. no spark. tried a 2nd time no spark. grabbed the other murray and finished the yard. about 2 hours later checked it again for spark. it was shooting blue. engine started so i drove it into garage. i took off shroud and traced kill wire. it did not look charred but there was a nice shiny spot on block where it looked like it was grounding. i rerouted kill wire away from heat spots as best i could. my question for cheese is will coils break down on their own when hot? this coil is about 15 yrs. old. the only other coil that i have go bad produced no spark at all. i have had 2 push mowers that have had kill wires get hot and ground out.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-03, 12:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello l.mitchell!

The answer is yes. There is an awful ong piece of thin wire wrapped around and around inside the coil. If a break ever develops somewhere in this wire, it can still work fine, but when it gets hot and expands enough, the wire loses its' contact, and quits firing until it cools and contracts enough to reconnect. The kill wire could have been the problem, but if it continues, I would suggest replacing the coil.

Search this Thread