Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tools and Equipment

Visiting Guest

08-17-03, 09:27 AM   #1  
irish
Tools and Equipment

I have been thinking about, starting a small engine repair business from my garage. At this time I will only be able to work on lawnmower and 2 cycle engines because of the lack of space. What do you think the minimum requiremets as far as tools would be.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-17-03, 03:35 PM   #2  
Joe_F
I think a more appropriate question is "what tools do I need to still buy".

Minimum tool requirements won't net you much. Don't cheap out here. There are specialty tools, general hand tools, time saving tools, safety tools, testers, books, literature, etc.

I'm not in business but I fix everything around my house---I buy at least 1000 bucks in tools over the course of a couple of years .

If I owned NOTHING as far as tools went, I'd buy the biggest Craftsman set I could lay my hands on. In that fashion, I'd have tools reasonably priced with a lifetime warranty.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-17-03, 08:19 PM   #3  
Hello irish!

I would suggest a full set from craftsman as Joe suggested. Best value for the money. Have all metric and standard tools, 6 point sockets, shallow and deep, 1/4" through 1/2" drive. Another necessity would be an air compressor, preferably no less than 6hp, 60 gallons. Not oilless. An air ratchet, 1/2" drive impact, rubber tipped blower, drill, grinder, air hammer, cylinder hone, briggs and stratton valve spring compressor, updated manuals for specs and torque values, wire wheel, torque wrench(es) at least a 3/8" drive capable of reading inch lbs, gasket scraper, small 110volt flux core mig welder is very nice to have and inexpensive, assorted vise grips, snap ring pliers, LONG allen wrenches, flywheel puller, or at least a harmonic balancer puller which will pull most if not all flywheels, ball peen hammers of different sizes, rubber mallet, punches.

I think you could get by with most projects if you have these things. I'm sure I left some things out, but this should cover most jobs. You can get good buys on this stuff on Ebay. I have seen the valve spring compressors there several times for little$. Walmart and the box stores sell the wire welders for around $200.00, and they make you the purchase price back very quickly. Even the walmart welder is good for small jobs like mower decks. It does a really nice job.

Keep us posted, and feel free to ask advice.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread