Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Carburetor Problem

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

11-18-00, 12:24 PM   #1  
I want to move an inside wall over to another position in the living room. It's orientation will be the same as it is now just farther over in the room.
How do I determine if the wall is load or non-load bearing. The ceiling joists are running in the same direction as the wall.

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

11-18-00, 01:03 PM   #2  
Site un-seen, I would recomend getting a pro carpenter in to look at it, messing with load bearing walls can be dangerous and very expencive, it may be you can stud out the new wall first, then take down the existing one, but like I said, get a pro carpenter on site.

Chip - Paint Moderator

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

11-18-00, 07:03 PM   #3  
Are you in a bungalow, or two story? When was the house built? Can you get into the attic to see if you have rafters, or trusses?
A bungalow built since the 60's most likely has trusses which bear on the exterior walls.
(MOST CASES) leaving interior walls as non-load bearing. Check in the basement. If there is a wall, or beam under the wall you want to remove & its running the same direction, you may have a structural wall.

Search this Thread