Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Carburetor Problem

08-18-03, 05:28 AM   #1  
B&S carb

Model- 80202
Type- 4016 01
code- 8908(3 or 6)103

I think this is a vacu-jet? carb. I need to know if they all have rubber seats with the adjusting jet. I took this one apart and did not remove a rubber seat. I soaked overnight in old cleaning solution. And how in the heck do you get the round clamp back on the pick-up tube? When I removed it, it broke just at the clamp. I removed the piece that remaind and stuck the tube back on without the clamp. It seems to fit very snuggly. I am concerned it will soften and come loose when wet with gas or suck air. The clamp had to be there for a reason.

Sponsored Links

08-18-03, 06:10 AM   #2  
From the illustration I seen, there does not seem to be a rubber seat for the needle.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-18-03, 09:34 PM   #3  
Hi Boman!

Did you find the other info needed? It is an 8 cu. inch horizontal engine, with a pulsa jet carb, plain bearings, and rewind starter. That's an oldie. 2 hp I think.

I would replace the pickup tube and clamp. The old clamp will probably break instead of come off. You can push the tube back on if it fits tightly, and it will work, but will not quite reach the bottom of the tank. Don't forget to replace the diaphragm on the side!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

08-19-03, 11:27 AM   #4  
'89 I think. Says 3hp on the shroud. I did soak the carb. I did not soak the needle, if I'm thinking right and replaced the diaphram. It does seem to have one long screw missing attaching the carb to the tank.
It will run for a short time and quit. That is some improvement. When it does this, it blows a little smoke. It does not seem to rev very high. It was used on a parking lot striper. Maybe need other linkages to use on a reel mower? It had sat for a while. Think it may need points, condensor, valve lapping, head casket, etc.?

Heheh, since I shortened the pickup tube and not sure how much gas I put in it, it may almost out. I think I will also change the gas in case it got some water or moisture in the tank while it was off. I know it only tajes a drop to mess things up.
MIght be I left a spring off causing it not to rev very high.

08-19-03, 06:05 PM   #5  
Update

Scoured cylinder. Removed the head and found vertical scratches I could feel with my fingers and catch my fingernaiks in. So much for that engine. I decided to see what had the reel mower stuck. I don't know how long it had sat with no plug. I removed the head and found muddy-like rust. Sanded, oiled, honed and cleaned. I also worked it a little up and down with a pipe wrench. Got it to where I could turn the motor by hand. I then replaced the head and tank. Fired right up! May not last long, but running fairly well right now . I also cleaned and adjusted the coil and flywheel the thickness of a piece o fpaper doubled. Someone had the coil almost right down on the flywheel.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-19-03, 09:18 PM   #6  
Good deal!

Hm, not as old as I thought. I was thinking rope starter when I wrote rewind starter for some reason. That's why I thought it was an oldie. Just a brain flatulence I guess, lol.

God bless!

08-20-03, 05:03 AM   #7  
Hm, not as old as I thought

I could be wrong on the age. It has a carb similar to the one on the National reel mower, and I have been told the carb on the National is circa 1968. The Briggs may be closer to 1979. Think I will recheck. Not that it matters a lot now after seeing the cylinder wall. It has the gas feed and choke lever mounted on top of the tank, if that tells you anything. I don't guite understand the deep scratches in the wall of the cylinder. Like I said it was used for striping parking lots. It is covered with a film of dry yellow paint. When I did run the little bit that I did, some of this paint would chip off and blow out from under the shroud. Maybe some of it had found its way inside the cylinder and scrached it. I also noticed some play from front to back in the piston but no play side to side. I figure the cylinder must be oval shaped.

Just a brain flatulence I guess, lol.

Take them away , and I would have very little brain activity !

08-20-03, 05:39 AM   #8  
I rechecked the date and according to the first two digits in the code number, the Briggs was produced 1989. Second two digits, August. Wonder if it is possible that someone changed the shrouds. The carb does not have seperate fuel/air mixture screws, just one needle vale to adjust it and one idle screw.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-21-03, 01:10 AM   #9  
Don't know for sure...shroud could be replaced, or carb could be replaced, or maybe its' just right. If it has plastic pickup tubes, I doubt that it's very old anyway.

God bless!

Search this Thread