Kohler Parts

Old 08-20-03, 05:15 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Kohler Parts

Anyone have a source for aftermarket Kohler parts? Stens was the last source I had on these and they have pulled the pistons and rings out of the line. Oregon and Rotary have nothing and Prime Line has the rings only. I don't have the spec number here but I am in need of a .010 oversize piston/ring set for a KT17. Any help on this?........Mike

Old 08-20-03, 06:08 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mike:

A shot in the dark, but try Sealed Power/Federal Mogul.

Most times they are OEM on automotive pistons and my guess is they have these little tykes too and are supplying the OEM folks.

1-800-325-8886 is Sealed Power. Federal Mogul owns them.

If that's a no-hit, I'll dig up the # for Perfect Circle, Clevite and others that I know make automotive hard parts like that.

Let me know where this nets you and I'll stick with you on it.

Old 08-20-03, 06:18 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mike:

Does this help? Has the OEM #s there. Perhaps if you search google.com for an interchange to that?

Lemme know....

http://www.learnsmallenginerepair.com/kohlerpis.htm

Old 08-20-03, 07:57 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Mike

Try contacting these businesses for parts.

BILLIOU'S 1-209-784-4102

L.S.THORPE CO. INC. 1-617-776-2445

Disclaimer:
I do not have any affiliations nor vested interests in any of these retail parts suppliers. Provided solely to assist with locating parts.

No signature included. You know who I am....

Old 08-20-03, 05:22 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I'll give the numbers a try Thursday and hope for the best.

Tom, thanks for the info, hope they are wholesalers!

Joe, here are the Kohler part numbers that Stens says replace these KT pistons/rings 52 874 03, 52 074 04, 52 074 03, 52 074 69. They are not on the page at the link you give. Also, I think they are Kohler original parts. I can get Kohler parts, what I need is aftermarket. As you can see the piston sets at the link are around a hundred for a single cylinder....ouch. Kt 17 has two cylinders....twice the pain. Stens last price for 2 pistons was 80.00 and rings were 32.00. After market parts if available will be just over half of Kohler. I really could stand the Kohler prices on this deal because the every day retail on this engine is 1700.00+.

Thanks for the input guys........Mike

Old 08-21-03, 12:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hi Mike!

I'll also check to see what I can find. I generally use Kohler OEM just to be safe, but at that kind of savings, I too would be looking for an alternative.

Old 08-21-03, 06:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sure, Mike.

I would say that Kohler ISN'T making that stuff actually. For instance, most times on a GM engine, the pistons and what not are TRW, Sealed Power, Clevite and such. A lot of components are supplied by someone else. LOL.

Buy a Whirlpool control for your washing machine and look at who makes it---Eaton .

The trick might be to find a reseller of Kohler who sells 'em cheap. I once bought the same GE control for my mother's '68 GE fridge. GE wanted $98, I got a Gemline (GE part in the box) for $45. LOL

Did you give Sealed Power and the others a call? Give them those Kohler OEM #s when you call and ask what their equivalent part # is. If they have a #, order it from any Sealed Power dealer.

If you can't find one, I'll order them through my local jobber for you and ship 'em to you. I get jobber price or less on SP through my parts store---they've been around since the 20s! LOL.

Let me know, Mike. It's not a problem.

Old 08-21-03, 09:20 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mike:

This site claims to have 10 over pistons and rings for the KT17 for about 120 bones. Does this help you out?

http://www.smallengines.cc/catalog/k...parts/pistons/

Old 08-21-03, 09:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

I took the liberty to call FM and ask and they do some Kohler parts, but came up dry on this one, I even gave them the OEM #s you provided.

Not licked yet ...still trying.

Old 08-22-03, 04:35 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hey cheese, thanks for looking around! If this were a customers engine it would get Kohler OEM parts but its going to Montana to use on a family sawmill. I'm going to try this old KT and if it works well I will need at least two more KT17's and would rather have KT19's which carry the same piston sets. Could also use a couple of buildable horizontal Command 18HP or better.

Joe, we are beating the same bushes. The last link you posted is a Stens dealer and I do have an email into them to see if they possibly have old stock but with overnight delivery probably do as I do and order as needed. I didn't get to make ANY calls Thursday due to some out of the shop functions. My SD gives me dealer price on Kohler but my cost on OEM Kohler parts is around double my cost on aftermarket. Retail on Kohler internals is just scary.

Thanks to all......Mike

Old 08-22-03, 05:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Mike:

If they say it's dropped, ask them for their source. Then try to find THAT from the source. Also try Sierra, Perfect Circle/Dana and other piston companies. Someone is the OEM. You want a distributor for that brand and that will save you some money.

I did call up FM---no dice.

Hey Mike, I was thinking of you. While out for a walk last night within one block of each other was two mowers. Some orange looking 18" rear bagger (it was 11:00 pm, tough to see in the dark..lol), and a Toro rear bagger that looked complete. If I had more room, I would fix the latter for a replacement at my grandfather's. Maybe if it's there after work, I'll go grab it.

LOL. I need a bigger shed .

Old 08-23-03, 05:32 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Joe, you better watch those "If I had more room" thoughts. I went from 5'x7' to 24'x24' carport to 16'x20' enclosed to 40'x60' on an acre. Now need to add on to the big one......Mike

Old 08-23-03, 07:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol.

You're not kidding Mike! Lol

Just as I say that---I'm up at my sister's in Northern NJ today and her Father in law says about this garage sale about 10 minutes away.

Gives me a lift there---I get a working, MINT condition 1974 Sears Scroll saw for 8 bucks (she wanted 10) WITH the case, owner's manuals, etc, as well as a cutting attachment---AND the ORIGINAL blades are MINT, new in the package from '74. LOL (from what I can tell).

Talking to the woman she hears me mention "air compressor" to my mother. She said, "My husband has something for that.....air hose holder".

One peek in her Windstar and $3 later, I own that too. LOL.

I caught them packing up the stuff, so she was eager to deal. LOL!

Old 08-23-03, 08:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hi Mike!

No dice yet, but I am going to try to catch up with a shop owner/friend of mine monday. He uses lots of aftermarket stuff and maybe he can tell me something. Will let you know.

I don't have any 18hp kohlers that are buildable. I think the biggest I have right now is a 14. (and it's rough, but buildable).

Old 09-02-03, 07:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mike,

Any luck??? I haven't given up, and let me know if I should continue trying.

Old 09-02-03, 07:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
So far, all I have found out is that Rotary supposedly carries some aftermarket K series parts. If you have contacts with Dixie Sales, try them too. Someone told me they "thought" Dixie has them.

Old 09-03-03, 03:58 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
I am still holding out for aftermarket on these parts. Even with a discount Kohler parts are painful to pay for. If I can find a source I am going to lay back a kit or two.

I have checked with Rotary and am searching Dixie now.

Thanks all........Mike

Old 09-03-03, 07:16 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The thing to find out who they are sourcing from. LOL

They may be peeling off some Kohler OEM overruns and selling them at a discount. That's what you want. This occurs in every industry, including mine.

There are limited makers of internal engine parts. .

I'll look more today.

Old 09-05-03, 09:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mike:

Try this guy: Ken.Carter@Dana.Com

He is the aftermarket product guy at Dana. They handle Perfect Circle/Clevite Engine parts and rings. They may be supplying Kohler with their OEM parts and if they have an interchange, they can be bought for substantially less than OEM markup on the Kohler items.

My e-mail is not behaving or I would do it for you . Let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Old 09-10-03, 10:35 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Mike:

Any luck with this contact? If not, I will dig down deeper to see what I can shake loose for you.

Someone has to have these items in the aftermarket.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: