Spark Plug Testing

Old 08-20-03, 07:34 PM
Spark Plug Testing

Hello there fokes. This question will bennifit many of you who are wondering the same thing!!!

I have a Voltage/Amp tester with many switch settings. When testing for spark or elictricity coming from the coil, which setting do I put the switch to, and what should be the average rating we all should be looking for on these small engines?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-03, 12:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Terminator!

You cannot measure the current with a regular volt/amp meter. You will need specialized expensive equipment for that. It is unnecessary/impractical to check secondary voltage on small engines. Some ignition systems can put out 60,000 volts, which no normal voltmeter will even come close to reading, and the voltage is there for only milliseconds and won't even register on the meter....(actually it will probably fry most everything in the meter).

Old 08-21-03, 07:03 PM
Since you mentioned that, what spacific tester do I need for this application?

Old 08-21-03, 07:40 PM
I have another question. First info

With the manual you guys supplied which I say thankyou, I was able to tighten the drive belt that I had installed recently, however, even after tightning the belt the drive is still slipping when going uphill or making a left turn sometimes. The manual says that the drive engager assembly can where out and if you want to adjust it I should take it to a authorised service dealer or something like that in nature. Can you tell that I don't want to do that and I want to do it myself? How do I adjust the drive engage cable system? I need to adjust it so it engages drive all the way and not part way where it sometimes slips?

Old 08-21-03, 09:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
An oscilliscope will show secondary ignition readings, but I cannot imagine connecting one to a small engine, lol.

What equipment is the cable you are talking about on?

Old 08-22-03, 12:32 AM
A self Propelled walk behind mower. Its a rear wheel drive.

Old 08-22-03, 04:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
"What equipment is the cable you are talking about on?"

Meaning make, model#, etc...
There are all kinds, and different ones work different ways.

Old 08-22-03, 04:50 PM
Remember my scotts manual post it is there. I thought that you would know what I was talking about. Sorry about that.

Old 08-22-03, 09:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No problem...I didn't know that was the same mower...didn't make the connection. Look where the drive cable connects at the tranmission. Move the lever and watch. If the belt it loosening and tightening as you move the drive lever, then you probably just need to adjust the belt tension. There is a spring on a rod with a nut on the end at the transmission that you can adjust to add tension to the belt.

Old 08-22-03, 11:46 PM
Thanks... I will check this out tomarow and let you know what I find.

Old 08-23-03, 07:37 PM
I think I got it as good as it will be. There seems to be no problem with the drive cable because it pulls the lever on the transmission all the way.

Hay in many posts I read here I read the words "Points" and "Armature" and "Brushes" what are those and what do they do?

Old 08-23-03, 08:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Points: Contacts that open and close to ground the coil, collapsing the field stored inside and causing it to spark.

Armature: The "spinning" part of an electric motor, with wire windings around it, and a commutator on the end that the brushes ride on.

Brushes: Ride on the commutator of an armature to send current to the windings.

Your mower, unless it is electric start, has none of these. Points aren't only on electric start engines, but are not used anymore, and haven't been for the past 20 years or so.