Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

chainsaws

08-20-03, 08:38 PM   #1  
chainsaws

Why is it some chainsaws will go right through rough vines and brush and some will slip the chain?

I have a Craftsman that slips the chain when trying to cut brush, vines ,etc. even with a new chain. It cuts logs pretty well. I also have a Poulan Pro the will cut right through this roughage but does not cut trees very well. Actually the Poulan cuts trees as if the chain is a little dull, and I guess it is. Do I need to check the bar on the Craftsman to see why the chain tends to come off when trying to clear brush and vines?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-21-03, 12:43 AM   #2  
Brush and vines give so much when the chain bites them, and then they twist and bind and apply uneven pressure to the chain. If the bar is worn, it will contribute to the problem. Cutting small stuff like this can cause the saw to grab and snatch, so be careful. If the chain catches a vine or other material on the top side of the bar, it can really shove the saw straight back at you before you know what happened.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread