Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

craftsman or tecumseh

08-20-03, 09:23 PM   #1  
craftsman or tecumseh

Hi all. Ok, i have a craftsman 4 cycle engine. The numbers i found were: on housing cover-
143 375012
ser 6308a

on flywheel:
14c

On sears site, it says it's a craftsman, but a couple engine sites say tecumseh.

Which is it, and if it is a tecumseh, how do i go about looking up parts for it, as from what i've seen, i dont have the right numbers. I'm looking for a starter pulley now, but will probably want more stuff in the future, so i would like to know how to look them up and order from someplace other than sears. thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-21-03, 12:38 AM   #2  
Hello tae!

It is a Tecumseh. Craftsman doesn't make engines, and the 143 prefix to the model # means tecumseh made the engine for craftsman. Any small engine shop should be able to get you parts just by using the model# you already have. Hope that helps!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

08-21-03, 06:53 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Correct. Sears doesn't make anything. . Most times, it's a major player in that market making it for them.

For instance, it's common knowledge that Whirlpool makes many of the Kenmore appliances you buy at Sears.

The easy well to tell is to get the full model # of the product. The first three digits before the decimal point (ex: 536.82231) denote the source code. In my case, "536" is AMF/Western Tool, which is now owned by Murray.

As Cheese said, "143" is Tecumseh. I have published a few source lists here that I've found on the internet which list who makes what for Sears.

Jeff Worrall (The appliance moderator from this site) has one on his site: www.applianceaid.com

Search this Thread