chain saw doesn't stay on

Old 08-22-03, 12:32 PM
Guillermo velas
Visiting Guest
chain saw doesn't stay on

hello, I have a homelite 240 16 inches blade chain saw that was given to me it ran for a while but the other day stop working.
I change the spark plug and I rebuilt the carburator but now doesn't start until the fifth pull. sometimes start and sometimes don't. when start doesn't stay on I have to hold the trigger all the time. Can you tell me was going on with my chain saw.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-03, 01:53 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Guillermo

Based on the problem description, the carb fuel settings are not correctly adjusted. That is assuming all other possible conditions and causes are not the direct or indirect cause.

If you must hold the throttle open to keep the engine running, most likely, if the carb is functioning correctly, the low speed fuel circuit is operating or set correctly.

Turn the low {L} speed screw open further. About 3/4 to 1 full turn outwards initially. Doing so will allow more fuel to allow the engine to idle. Opened too much, the engine will get too much fuel at idle, burn black at the exhaust and quickly flood out.

The balance point for the correct setting is half way between engine stalling and engine flooding for the idle setting. Once again, assuming all else is okay.

The exhaust system and or muffler may also be restricted with carbon deposits. Thus the engine will not idle but run at high speeds. Simply because exhaust pressure can force the exhaust through the restriction but cannot at idle.

The other resident small engine service and repair professionals in the forum may be able to offer additional suggestions, advice & help.

Check back on your question several times over the next few days for additional replies.

Small engine repair parts, generic repair manuals and additional help are all available at all local small engine repair shops and or lawn mower repair shops in your area. Shops and dealers are listed in the phone book directory.

Suggestion:
Read all already asked questions and the replies offered in them on this same type of problem for additional help & information. Doing so will provide additional possible causes and the solutions to correct them.

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. Using the reply button moves the topic back up to the top of the daily topic list automatically & keeps all communications in this one thread.

Regards & Good Luck.
Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

Search this Thread