Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

String Trimmer

Visiting Guest

08-24-03, 11:15 AM   #1  
che
ryobi 990r 4cycle trimmer

Purchased 2yrs ago, used first time last year for one hour. Drained gas and stored 'til this year hanging engine up. Could not start this year. Took to repair shop who adjusted carb and got to run. They said to use high test gas and run to breakin. Got home, could not start engine. Next day, carried back to repair shop (20 miles away), they pressed bulb one time and started engine, said to hold throttle open when startring. Got home and could not start engine. Help needed to protect what little hair I have left.

Last edited by che; 08-24-03 at 02:34 PM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-24-03, 12:40 PM   #2  
Fisher
You could bring it into Lawrenceburg.
I thought you were a Shindaiwa fan.
Fish

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-24-03, 09:16 PM   #3  
Hello che!

Welcome to the small engines forum!

If they are able to start it so easily, I assume that maybe you are missing something basic, so if I go over some really basic steps, I don't mean it as sarcasm or to insult your intelligence, just trying to be sure you are covering all bases.

1: Turn the unit on
2: Push the primer bulb until you can tell it is moving fuel through it
3: Move the choke lever all the way to full choke.
4: Hold the throttle trigger to full speed
5: Pull the rope until you hear the engine stumble, start, or spit, or no more than 4 pulls.
6: Move the choke to half throttle and with throttle still wide open, pull until it starts.
7: Let it warm up a few seconds, then move the choke lever to "open".

This procedure should start most any trimmer, including yours. If not, there may be other problems.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread