Repairing mower deck

Old 08-25-03, 05:24 AM
rs_petty
Visiting Guest
Repairing mower deck

Iím repairing a 38Ē deck to a JD 160. The idler sheave/pully assembly completely froze up and tore the pulley off. The bracket that mounts the pulley to the deck is going to be a bear to remove. Iíve already bent up my cheapy gear puller. The bracket mounts on a pin which is welded into the deck. Yes, Iíve removed the retaining clip. Should this bracket be that hard to remove? Even though Iíve soaked it in penetrating oil and checked for other keys or attachment points I think maybe Iím missing something. And, assuming I can get the old bracket off, Iím thinking Iím going to need some sort of press to put the new one on. Iím hoping some voices of experience can shed some light on things to double check or techniques of attacking this problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-03, 10:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello rs_petty!

Once the clip is removed, the whole thing is "SUPPOSED" to slip off. It rarely does though. Can you rotate it back and forth? There are bushings in it that eventually cut grooves into the shaft, and it makes it really hard to remove. Keep soaking it, get it to rotate freely, and twist and pull, twist and pull, drink a nice cold beverage, and twist and pull, lol. I hope it comes off. This info is based on the assumption that you have an electric PTO which means you have the tall pulley tensioner in the middle of the back of the deck, with a pulley on top, and one on bottom. From your description, that's what it sounds like you have.

Old 08-26-03, 05:01 AM
rs_petty
Visiting Guest
Your great

Thanks. Yes, its a double pully. The bracket will move back and forth with help from the ball peen. More penetrant and a better puller should do the trick. Thanks again.

Old 08-27-03, 12:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Anytime! Here's another thought...if you have access to a compressor and an impact hammer, use the punch or a dull chisel in the end of the hammer and get under the weld where the bracket is welded onto the sleeve of the assembly, and try to direct the pressure of the blows of the impact hammer upward in a way which helps to force the whole thing off. Those things make really hard jobs easy sometimes.