Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2 Cycle Engine Problem

08-26-03, 06:10 PM   #1  
mac 110

Hello. I had just today finished a complete overhaul on a 35 year old 4 cylinder diesel case tractor and it runs better than I could have expected so that had really made me feel great. Then when I got home I found out that my god-father had given me his old McCulloch Mac 110 automatic oiler chain saw. This saw has about a 10" or 12" blade and is perfect for the brush I need to clean (I also think he will be giving me an old Green Machine brush cutter/string trimmer). The problem is that it is extremely hard to start. I am afraid that the starter rope will break if I keep pulling. I removed the spark plug and it turns effortlessly, I can pull the rope all the way out without a problem, so I put the plug back in and I removed the muffler and it was full of oil so I blew it out clean and put it back on the saw and it didn't change a thing. I also checked the air filter and I blew it clean too. I removed the bar and chain and it was still very hard to crank over. I can pull the rope out a little then it stops. When I attempt to pull start it like you usually do with a saw, the saw gets pulled to one side and the bar ends up against my foot cause the rope just stops suddenly. If I could fix a tractor, I will definiately not let a small chain saw beat me. I never worked on a saw before but have messed with string trimmers so as far as the engine goes, I can do what ever I need to do. I know these saw aren't exactly a stihl but I like it never passed up the chance to fix something. I know my god-father bought a new poulon so I am not sure how long this saw hasn't ran. Thanks!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-26-03, 11:42 PM   #2  
Hi Mower17!

These 2strokes can be quite tedious at times. I like McCulloch saws...they are good value (or should I say WERE, since they aren't available anymore). I think you might find a problem in the starter mechanism. Pul it off and check the spool for wobble/side to side movement, bad pawls, etc...

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Admin Emeritus

CAL

08-27-03, 04:28 AM   #3  
I agree. Some two cycles can be difficult to start. Each may require a slightly different procedure to start them quickly. Much depends a the condition of the engine and the carb settings, etc.

Some will start with full choke on while others the choke full on will not. Others at half chocke and full open throttle or no throttle or any combo of either, etc.

Some either combo of the above or none of the above specifically. The idea is to determine which method works best for that particular engine and the conditions in which it is in. Also taking into account the ambient temp it is in.

On a more humorous & lighter note, we as owners and operators of some finicky machines, seem to think at times these machines sense the users mind set, deadlines to complete jobs, attitudes, fustrations etc and intentionally resist starting even more....

Regards & Good Luck.
Small Engine Forum Moderator. "Accurate Power Equipment." Small Engine Diagnostics Services & Repair.

Fast...Fair...Friendly & Highly Proficient Services....

08-27-03, 07:16 PM   #4  
I removed the starter mechanism and took a close look at it. The two pawls bite on to four ridges on the plastic recoil starter and those four ridges are worn down a little so it would slip half the time. I oiled the two pawls and it happens much less often. The saw runs pretty good, it's a lot faster than a hand saw or ax.

P.S. Today I learned at vo-tech school that if you are going to drill in metal, make sure the drill isn't in reverse or you will spend 45 minutes wondering why the bit is smoking and there is no shavings falling out. (It gave everyone including the teacher a good laugh!!!!!)

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-28-03, 12:32 AM   #5  
Lol...tell them there was a hole there, and you wanted to fill it back up, so you were "un-drilling" it.

Glad the saw is working!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread