Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

My Riding Mower--HELP!!HELP!!

08-28-03, 06:02 AM   #1  
My Riding Mower--HELP!!HELP!!

I need someones help desperately. I have recently moved to a new area, where I know noone, so I'm sceptical on repair shops right now. My mower starts, runs and cuts good for about 20 min. or so, then it dies, like I got off of the seat with the blades engaged is what it sounds like.
It won't restart, but if you leave it, and go back about an hour later, it will start and run fine again, then it dies again.
Can someone tell me whats wrong with this thing!??
It's a John Deere LT 133 with a 13 hp engine.

Thanks,

Lisa

Sponsored Links

08-28-03, 01:23 PM   #2  
Try mowing with the gas cap off, if it still kills then it's the coil. A coil costs about $20-$25. Any mower shop can change a coil.

Visiting Guest

08-28-03, 06:00 PM   #3  
mikejmerritt
If you need a coil and the engine is a Kohler you may expect it to be more than $25.00. Probably more like 75.00-100.00 installed and that if they go straight to the problem. I only mention this because you are skeptical of the shops in your area at this time....Mike

Visiting Guest

09-02-03, 05:40 AM   #4  
Pointman
"If you need a coil and the engine is a Kohler you may expect it to be more than $25.00."

Maybe not. I rebuilt a Kohler 12hp engine and called to get a price on replacing the coil and the partsman was kind enough to suggest that I just go to the local auto parts store and pick up a coil for an old six cylinder Ford. It was much cheaper than what he would have had to charge for an "authentic" Kohler coil. His solution has been working fine for nearly four years now.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-02-03, 08:31 PM   #5  
You could expect to do that on the ooollldd k series kohler engine, but a Kohler cv13s like would be found on a John Deere LT 133 is much more up to date and has electronic ignition, and the coils for that engine run around $50.00.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Visiting Guest

09-02-03, 10:56 PM   #6  
Pointman
LOL! You're right, I just never thought of my '74 model K as being old.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-03-03, 10:30 PM   #7  
It might be old, but it's a good one! 30 years is a long time for a small engine. Can you imagine what kind of shape the engines made today would be in after 30 years? LOL!

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

09-13-03, 06:57 PM   #8  
Did you ever get the coil you neede and got the engine running?

Search this Thread