Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

OIL sump gasket

AL

08-29-03, 02:54 PM   #1  
OIL sump gasket

I have an opposed twin B&S, m-42A707 t- 1653-01 c-9506285A. The problem was a very bad oil leak. When I pulled the oil pan off , I noticed one for the pan bolts had about 3/8" of the boss on the cylinder block broken off. I don't think the remaining boss would hold a heli-coil. My question is, if I put the other six bolts in and torqued up to 225 in-lbs, would JB Weld work in this situation. I have got some but I haven't used it yet. In other words, I'm not familiar with JB Weld.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

08-29-03, 10:18 PM   #2  
Hello Jack B.!

You can probably do well using JB weld. when installing the bolts, apply a light coat of sprak cooking oil to the bolt that is going in the broken hole, then install it. Then, using duct tape, form the tape around the outside of the broken boss to hold the JB weld in place, then fill the void between the tape and the block with JB weld. Let it cure for 24 hours, and peel off what tape will come off. The cooking oil sprak is to allow the bolt to release from the JB weld, and then your threads will already be there. (If you ever have to take it back apart).

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread