Murray 12 hp deck

Old 08-29-03, 06:28 PM
Murray 12 hp deck

Model- 3860BX92C (B might be 8)

Need some tips on how to get the left side up level with the right side. On th erear of the deck, there is a tube that goes from one side to the other. On each end there is a flange that drops down, the rear deck hangs on these flanges. The flanges are not parallel. Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-03, 10:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Boman!

I'm not familiar with that system you described. Maybe someone here knows or has seen it?

Old 08-30-03, 03:32 AM
The tube I am talking about is bolted to the frame and the height adjusting lever is connected to the right side. Early 90's, I think. Maybe this will jar someone's memory Thanks for the reply.

Old 08-30-03, 09:36 AM
boman,

I have the same mower. The flanges that are attached on each end of the bar are not parallel. On the left side of the mower, there is a link that attaches to these flanges and goes down to the mower deck. The bottom of the link has 5 holes, arranged in a semi-circular pattern. This is the adjustment that you are looking for. Move the pin to a different position and see if this helps. Mine used to be in the center hole, but due to wear, it is now in the one at the rear. 10 years old and running fine.

Where in N. ALa?

Nashcat

Old 08-30-03, 01:21 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Oh...I see now what you have. Very common murray setup. The tube with the flanges rotates to raise/lower the deck, right? Adjustment is made by changing the hole that the deck connects to in the hanger, as mentioned.

Old 08-30-03, 02:51 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
To further fine tune the deck height on this model follow the rod on either side from the 5 hole adjustment bracket to the other end where you will find threads and bolts. A couple of turns one way or the other will move the deck forward or back which levels the deck front to back. This is most helpful when the deck is tracking in the center.....Mike

Old 08-30-03, 06:14 PM
Where in N. ALa?

Florence in the Muscle Shoals area. Northwest, Alabama.

flanges rotates to raise/lower the deck, right?

Right

. A couple of turns one way or the other will move the deck forward or back which levels the deck front to back. This is most helpful when the deck is tracking in the center.....Mike

Yep, I almost had it by adjusting all that has been mentioned. But, the rod that adjusts the engages the blade seems to be frozen and I could not extend the threaded link on it. I may soak it a little more tomorrow, heat it, or change it. I knew I had adjusted this type before. I had two before giving this one to my son. I tried all the above ealier today after taking a good look at the setup and remembered I had to manipulate the front to back rods too to help square the deck with the mower. I seen where he had someone change the rod on the drivers side. It made me wonder if the correct one had been used. I think when I get the threaded piece on the blade engaging rod unfrozen, I can fine tune it just enough to mow some grass.

Thanks to all who responded

Old 08-30-03, 08:17 PM
boman,

I'm glad you've got it figured out. If you can find a penetrating oil called Kroil, it is the best I've ever seen for loosening rusted screws. Alternate heating and oiling, several times, and it should come loose.

I went to college in Florence 1968-72, and lived there until 1980. Now, according to all my friends, I live "UP NORTH", which is in Columbia, TN.

Nashcat