OHV Leak

Old 08-30-03, 06:16 PM
OHV Leak

Remember some time ago I told you about my OHV leak on my mower. I am re wrtting this post because my problem is still not solved. When I went to fix it myself, I noticed that the bolts would not tighten, so I removed them and noticed that the gasket was worn. I bought a new gasket and placed it on there. Than I got a few bolts I had in the garage and put them in there. They would not tighten either so I put nuts on the ends and that seemed to do the trick. I tightend those bolts as tight as I could make them, and it still leaks. I then took a look again and I noticed that my new gaskedt got torn around the area that the bolts are. What do I do? Should I just take it down to the shop? Is this going to be such a huge fix that I am not going to want to take my time to continue to try to fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-03, 12:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try some permatex gasket maker, make sure you valve cover hasn't gotten bent up from overtightening, and put it back on, but don't tighten the stew out of the bolts, just tighten them good and snug.

Old 08-31-03, 05:12 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
These little valve covers are like Chevy covers used to be. Tighten one to tight once and you've got a leak from now on due to it being warped out of shape. You may try a new gasket and some blue RTV sealer or get a new cover......Mike

Old 08-31-03, 09:37 AM
I believe the cover that touches the metal is all bent up a little. What do I do about this part? Thanks for the input on the first part, I will do that as soon as I figure this part out.

Old 09-01-03, 09:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Replace it or try to straighten it.