Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What should I pay???

Visiting Guest

09-02-03, 12:59 PM   #1  
Joe_F
What should I pay???

Greg and company,

I am going to look at some equipment that a local guy has advertised for sale in the paper which he didn't sell.

One of the items that caught my attention was a 1650 psi, 3HP power washer. I haven't seen it and the seller was a little fuzzy on details other than "it works, but it's missing the gun and hose".

What should I expect to pay for this machine? What features am I looking for? I would like to use it for cleaning decks and maybe the house and concrete, nothing heavy duty.

What do you think and any advice is appreciated. I plan to go there at about 7:30 this evening, weather permitting .

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

CANADA

09-02-03, 08:38 PM   #2  
Joe:

You would want to check it out first unless you are able to get a "Joe_F deal" on the price.
You would need the hose and nozzle to make sure it is able to develop pressure and doesn't spray water through some unseen crack in the pump housing, presssure unloader or fitting.

If you briefly start the engine and it runs, you might want to only pay what a used engine is worth, considering the pressure washer portion will be a big gamble.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Visiting Guest

09-03-03, 07:22 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Thanks Greg.

50 bones? 25? I have no shame. LOL

(Usually, I let the person throw out the figure and work down from there, but just so I have an idea).

I don't know the specs of the machine. Based on what I've provided, do you think it's adequate?

I plan to go there this Saturday, so I have some time to do research for parts and whatnot.

Thanks,

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-03-03, 11:52 PM   #4  
Hi Joe!

Is it gas powered? If so, be wary if the engine is basically a vertical shaft push-mower engine mounted atop the pump unit. These pumps generally fail looong before the engine. If it is a side-by side pump and horizontal shaft engine, then your odds are better. Look at the oil in the pump. If it has sparkles of metal or smells burnt, you might leave it alone. A new pump can exceed the value of the entire unit easily. Deals can be had, but pressure washers are risky when buying used.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Super Moderator

CANADA

09-04-03, 03:34 AM   #5  
Good advice from cheese.

You might want to stay clear of this one unless you can get it for 25 bucks.
cheese is right about the vertical shaft units.
I havn't seen any good ones.
Brand new and well looked after one would probably get good service but when history is unknown and you have to buy a hose and gun, 25 would be all I would gamble.

Visiting Guest

09-04-03, 07:11 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Cheese:

The fellow told me it was a 3.5 HP Briggs, but didn't know much more. I'd have to go look at it.

He seems somewhat knowledgeable, but I think I can deal with him with the upper hand. We'll see what it becomes.

I'm going there for some of the automotive stuff he has, but we'll see what I wind up getting.

Visiting Guest

09-04-03, 08:29 AM   #7  
Joe_F
I assume you guys mean one like this when you say what to avoid?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...egory=632&rd=1

Thanks. I believe this one shown is a Generac in disguise (580 model Craftsmans are made by Generac for Sears).

Visiting Guest

09-09-03, 08:02 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Well fellas, I bought it.

$35. And yes, I got him to hook up a gun and wand for it and it works .

Needs a carburetor diaphragm and some wand/gun parts. Mike Merritt is onto all the needed stuff for me.

It is a horizontal pump, 1200 PSI Homelite, 3HP B&S engine, 4 cycle.

Engine model #80232, 1990 Vintage model. I have photos if you want to see them. I always have trouble posting here, so if you'd like me to send them to you before I post that is fine.

You can move this to the small engine forum if you wish Greg.

Unless you want all the credit for when I get it running and working 100% LOL

Super Moderator

CANADA

09-10-03, 05:33 AM   #9  
Joe_F:

Glad it worked out.

Joe_F wrote:
"Unless you want all the credit for when I get it running and working 100% LOL"

Please Joe, no credit is neccessary, just send money.

Visiting Guest

09-10-03, 06:51 AM   #10  
Joe_F
This project will be a success thanks to Mike Merritt of the small engine forum.

I e-mailed him with some questions and Mike is right on it with the needed items for this machine. I should have a working machine as soon as we square away all the parts it needs.

Briggs Carburetor diaphragm: $2...
Gasoline: $2.
Engine Cleaner: $1.50
J19LM spark plug: $1.50.

The value of a friendship, comraderie and support of a guy like Mike when doing these projects:

Priceless.

Visiting Guest

09-10-03, 05:14 PM   #11  
mikejmerritt
Slid this one in the side door didn't you guys. The washer in the pic you sent us to is the one to avoid unless you get it pretty cheap. I notice your Homlite is 3 HP 1200 PSI and the Sears is 2250 PSI and the pump is 1/3 the size of the Homelite. I'm not very smart but either the small pump is really cooking or the big pump is loafing. I've owned a Sears horizontal 3HP Tecumseh P/W since 1978 and only change the oil and add gas. Did clean the carb last spring but it needed no new parts.

Joe, there is a diaphragm on the way to you for this Homelite. I think I mailed it before you mentioned it here. Is that service or what? I'll find out what kind of threads are used on the hose and wand I have. Its 25 feet and very nice if it will work......Mike

Visiting Guest

09-10-03, 05:47 PM   #12  
Joe_F
Ok Mike, I was seven years old in 1978. I wasn't even around when Murray (the old blower I own) was made in '65. That was the year my parents got married! LOL.

The service at Merritt Motors is always stellar. Mike, I can always count on you for these projects and I love to share the success stories with all the folks here, that's what it's all about.

For those that do not know, Mike helps me out with any small engine project I choose to tackle and sticks with me all the way from acquisition of a unit not worth a spark plug to completion/restoration. In turn, I try to reciprocate any way I can to help a friend in need.

That's a friend. That's a comrade. That's a gentleman. That's a professional. That's the spirit of this forum (are we losing site of that folks???)

Homelite needs a "UT" # (some sort of code) to furnish a manual for me, which I will try to find on the machine. With a little TLC, this should run like a champ.

Yes Mike, the hose the guy used to test it was a screw on job. The original may have been a quick connect, I need the manual to study for that one.

Mike: I will send you photos via e-mail with additional questions as we discussed.

Thanks,

Visiting Guest

09-11-03, 10:52 AM   #13  
Joe_F
It all Comes out in the Wash :)

Mike:

Owner's manual and parts list on the way. After cajoling the guy a bit at Homelite, I figure out that:

I have an HPW1200B power washer, UT#01803 Homelite spec #.

We will chat more in depth when I have this in front of me, and I will furnish you a copy if you'd like so we can talk shop with the proper information at hand.

Thanks again,

Visiting Guest

09-25-03, 11:46 AM   #14  
Joe_F
Homelite Loafing on the Job

I had to call Homelite and get them to send another manual because it sounds like the first one is coming by Pony Express .

Mike: I'll be in touch. See my e-mail to you.

Visiting Guest

10-06-03, 10:31 AM   #15  
Joe_F
Mike:

From no owner's manuals from Homelite, now I have two . LOL

I will be in touch with the other parts needed to complete this one---I sent you an e-mail (or a few).

I also have an idea for you that I've been tossing around and the choice is yours. Refer to the e-mail.

Thanks,

Search this Thread