No top end speed

Old 09-02-03, 07:53 PM
gchackett
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down No top end speed

I have a Briggs and Stratton engine on my mower model 95902 type 3107 trim 01 code 92021825. The problem that i am having is that there is no top end speed so it will not handle mowing grass. when this problem first started i thought that the problem was a clogged air filter after removing the air filter it seemed to help for a short time but then went back to having no top end speed. So then i replaced the spark plug. this didn't help then i removed the carb and cleaned it and replaced the diaphram, this also didn't resolve my problem. The next thing that i am planning on doing is to check the coil and see if that needs to be replaced. so basically i am asking if i am on the right track and is there a way to check the coil to see if it is good or bad. And also any other ideas woudl be greatly appreciated . thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-03, 08:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello gchackett!

I really doubt there is any problem with the coil at all. There are a few likely possibilities though. The flywheel key could be partially sheared, the carb linkage could be binding, the governor spring could be stretched or missing, the tensioner for the governor spring could be bent, or the blower housing could be pushed down a bit on the top keeping the governor vane from moving back and forth. Can you make it rev up by hand...moving the throttle on the carb?

Old 09-02-03, 08:15 PM
gchackett
Visiting Guest
the throttle plate is wide open and it almost sounds like it is miss firing, but it runs fine at lower idling speeds.

Old 09-02-03, 09:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check the plug wire to be sure it is not pinched between the housing or chaffed. It's a possibility, but I would tend to think you have a fuel problem. This engine is a 1992 model, and has the plastic carb with a fixed, press-fit main jet. These come loose occasionally and cause problems. Does the engine smoke when it does this?

Old 09-13-03, 06:59 PM
Did you ever get your problem fixed?