Starting weedeater

Old 09-08-03, 02:50 PM
BabySnake01
Visiting Guest
Starting weedeater

ave craftman 1.3 cu.in/21cc 2-cycle weedeater. Replaced fuel lines and filter, it tries to start on about the third pull then dies. Smells and acts like it is flooded. What exactly is the mixture adjustment? I set carb & mixture adj. back to factory preset, weedeater was borrowed last year & returned this summer. Didn;t run after I got it back. I seem to be close but can't quite get it going. Help! Please

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-03, 03:42 PM
Check for spark would be your first thing you should do.

Old 09-10-03, 09:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello BabySnake01!

Sounds like you still have carb problems if it actually starts on the 3rd pull and dies. By saying that, do you mean it actually runs for a second or two? If so, are you opening the choke back up to let it run? If it dies out when the choke is opened, will it start again when you choke it?

Old 09-12-03, 10:09 AM
Did you ever figure out the problem with it?

Old 09-12-03, 04:50 PM
BabySnake01
Visiting Guest
Cheese: Weedeater won't run

in reply to your posting, weedeater will only start with full choke, by running I mean for a second, not even long enough to to take choke back. It will not turn over at all with the choke off. But I have noticed that the primer bulb fills up with gas when trying to start it. I decided to try to start it without priming, to see if that helped with what I think is a flooding problem. With the same result, strong smell of gas and it dies in a sec. Tried this quite a few times, same thing happens. Certainly appreciate your help.

Old 09-12-03, 05:02 PM
BabySnake01
Visiting Guest
Cheese ps

when I first put new fuel lines on the weedeater it wouldn't turn over or anything. I then went to stores & looked at their fuel lines on those weedeaters, I notice the line to primer bulb was alot shorter than I had mine, so I cut it shorter it was then that it started to aleast turn over. Can you have a fuel line to long? Also if you do prime it the bulb stays in. It sucks gas up but doesn't come back out for a long time. Long time meaning till I get the patience to work on it again. Sorry for such a long message, thought maybe this might help you to help me. Thanks

Old 09-12-03, 06:12 PM
No problem at all, the most info you give helps us help you better!

After you mentioned that your primer stays pushed in after you release it, that could be your problem right there. Either your primer bulb is worn out and you need a new one, or, its just not getting any air to allow itself to go back out. First thing I would do is make sure the lines are not clogged, and I think you did that already. Then make sure that the tiny whole located on the gas cap is not clogged. Also check to make sure that your fuel lines going into the gastank are tight, meaning no space where air could get out. Also make you do the same on the other end of those lines. Make sure they are tight on the primer bulb, and on the carb. That all I can think of right now.

Old 09-12-03, 11:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
OK, the primer bulb tells all, LOL!

This is what you need to do: Remove the carb, disassemble it, clean it well. Look at the small wire mesh screen inside (a little mesh circle recessed into the carb body under the plate you will remove on the opposite side of the primer bulb). You can pick it out with a needle or sharp knife, but don't damage it. Clean it well with automotive spray carb cleaner. Clean the rest of the carb and blow cleaner through all passages. WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES when using the spray. It will almost surely shoot back out at you at one point during the cleaning process, and it really hurts the eyes!

Reassemble and let us know how it goes!