Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn tractor

PA

09-11-03, 06:35 AM   #1  
Lawn tractor

I have a 14 hp ohv mtd lawn tractor that sat idle for approx 1 year. I can not start the tractor. Here is what I tried so far.

1. Put a new battery in
2. drained the old gas and cleaned the carb real good.
3. replaced the soleniod
4. Checked the starter (it was fine)

After all this I still can not start the mower. the lights will not even come on, I do not even get a clicking sound when i turn the key. Any suggestions. Could It be the valves being out of clearence. I was told that if the valves were not set exactly right I would not be able to fire up the motor. Does this sound right?
If so what should the valves be set at? any other suggestions?

One more question, were can I obtain an electrial diagram of this mower and or a repair manuel

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

09-11-03, 09:23 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Manuals:

www.mtdproducts.com

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

09-12-03, 11:52 PM   #3  
Hello ThomasB!

The valve clearances won't do what you are describing...when they are off, the engine will still at least try to turn over. You aren't even getting a click, which means something else is wrong...electrical.

First, pull the connector off of the ignition switch. If a terminal on the switch is badly rusted, replace the switch. If not, recconect the switch and check the wire connected to the terminal on the switch marked with a "s" with a voltmeter while turning the key to "start". If you have 12 volts, you need to check the safety switches. If you don't, you need to check the fuse near the solenoid. If it is good, make sure the small red wire is connected to the same post on the solenoid as the pos battery cable. If nothing still, let us know, we'll go further.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread