Adding Electric Start to 14 yr old Sears Snow Thrower

Old 09-11-03, 07:47 AM
Adding Electric Start to 14 yr old Sears Snow Thrower

My father-in-law has a Craftsman 24 in. Propelled Snow Thrower, 6 spd fwd, 2 revrs. I do not know the engine size or brand. The thing is a monster but works well when started. My father-in-law has reached the point that he no longer has the strength to pull start this unit. Part of the problem is it is stored in a non heated shed. How hard is it to install an electric starter? {one that plugs in to start and then is diconnected} He was given a part price by Sears of $130.00 plus $150.00 labor to install it. I think that is steap. Can we use other than a Sears part and if so where can we find a comparable part? I know that the engine size will determine the complete answer, but I am looking for general information now as he is on a fixed income and thinking of junking this one because he doesn't want to admit that he can no longer use it.

Thanks for the help and when I see him this weekend I will try to get the engine size and other useful info.

Doug

P.S. We live near Trenton, NJ

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-03, 09:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Depends on the engine size. The HS50 (5 HP) and down use a different starting motor than the 6 HP and above.

I have both a 5 and 6HP Tecumseh and they are of different designs.

First step is you must make the sure the engine CAN accept an electric starter. It may involve changing the flywheel if it doesn't have teeth on it. Much the same as a car's starter setup.

Usually the engine shroud has cutouts for the starter drive and the block is tapped for the mounting bolts if the engine can accept an electric starter.

It's not really that hard to install in all honesty. The part is a MINT though . 130 bones is about right. Mike Merritt of this forum may be able to help you locate one.

Old 09-11-03, 10:12 AM
Thumbs up Sears Snow Thrower Electric Start

Thanks Joe. When my Father - in - law called Sears they were quick to give him the part # and price {which he trhrew away} so I am making an assumption that the fly wheel is ready for the starter addition {hence having the teeth required}. I will get the engine make and size but I am pretty sure it is on the top end of the scale.

As always you are a big help whenever you reply in any of the forums. I use your auto advise all the time.

Doug

Old 09-11-03, 10:25 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The machine almost 100% has a Tecumseh engine as it is probably a model # starting with 536 (the machine's model #).

That is a Murray made machine. The engine will have a model # of 143 as a prefix. That is Tecumseh.

Most Sears two stagers over the past 40 years have been Murrays (Murray bought up a lot of the previous "536" vendor # machines). Only notable exception is the "bulldozer/track wheel" style machines and the NEWEST 5hp machine they sell now.

Those are "247" prefix machines and are MTD made.

Old 09-11-03, 10:48 AM
So...Is it possible to get a Murray electric start kit? This could be cheaper than Sears...

Thanks again,

Doug

Old 09-11-03, 10:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No, Tecumseh makes the engine. The starter kit is their design/part#/product.

Sears doesn't make anything. It comes from someone else. The part #s you find on the Sears.com---->parts website are the vendor's part #s.

Again, $130 is about right for Tecumseh starter kit. Perhaps a little cheaper elsewhere. Wait for Mike's reply if he can help you.

Old 09-11-03, 11:12 AM
I will get all the info and post back. Thants again Joe!!!

Regards,

Doug

Old 09-11-03, 07:00 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello Money Pitt, if your engine is as large as an 8,9 or 10 HP check this Ebay auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=22654

This is the only one on Ebay right now that I could find but others are sold there often. I've seen them go for as little as 60.00 new in the box.......Mike

Old 09-12-03, 03:06 PM
Money Pitt,

Check out this site for a 110 voth starter kit. It is the same kit you could get from Sears. This kit is for the 8 & 10 HP engine. They also offer a kit for the smaller engines.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...categoryId=130

Roger

Old 09-15-03, 04:07 PM
? for Mike

Thanks for the ebay pointer. Before I bid though I want to make sure it will fit the unit my father in law has. I never made it to his place over the weekend but he read me the following off the owner's manual:

Model # 536.886800
25 inch wide cut
Dual Stage
8 hp Snow Thrower

Craftsman engine # 143.786052.

Will the stater you directed me to fit? It is definately within his budget and mine.

Thanks for a quick reply as there is only 3 days remaining on this bid item.

Regards,

Doug

Old 09-15-03, 10:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Doug!

The starter on Ebay should work fine on your engine, as far as I can tell. Look on www.sears.com/partsdirect and type in your engine model# and view the diagram. It shows an optional starter just like the one on ebay, and the applications listed on the picture on ebay includes an 8hp horizontal shaft engine like yours.

Old 09-16-03, 06:51 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Correct. The starter # shown is a Tecumseh part # (ex: 33290D on mine). Make sure the seller's item is the right part #.

Alternatively, just call up Tecumseh Technical Services at 262-377-2700 and ask them what the correct # is for the starter. The 143 # from the engine is what they will want.

Then make sure the seller is selling that same part # and it will work for your engine.

Old 09-16-03, 05:24 PM
O.K., here we go. 143.786052 crosses to Tec HM80-155338M.
From fiche 18A-2 (4/99), the following starters fit:

33329A, 33329B, 33329C
33329D (UL & CSA approved)
33329E (UL & CSA approved)
33519A (CSA approved)
33519B (CSA approved)

Hope that helps.

Old 09-17-03, 07:05 AM
Thumbs up Thank you All

I wanted to thank all of the repliers for the excellent information provided. It was all very helpfull. Now if I can win the ebay bid I will be off and running in the right direction.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Doug

Old 09-17-03, 09:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Talking

O.K., here we go. 143.786052 crosses to Tec HM80-155338M.
From fiche 18A-2 (4/99), the following starters fit:

33329A, 33329B, 33329C
33329D (UL & CSA approved)
33329E (UL & CSA approved)
33519A (CSA approved)
33519B (CSA approved)

Hope that helps.

-----
Showoff! LOL

How are you doing Tom? I'm in the process of getting that Murray Jr. of mine together. Still need a few Murray parts and it will be 100% .

LOL

Old 09-22-03, 07:30 AM
Talking electric starter

Well I won the e-bay bid at the link above and saved $40. Thank you for the pointer, it will deliver this Wednesday. Now I hope that the directions are easy to follow as I am hoping to install it myself and save an additional $150.00 labor as was quoted to my father-in-law by Sears. I have a good amount of back-yard mechanics experience and it does not {on the surface} appear to be any harder than swapping out a starter or alternator on a 63 Chevy Impala SS. Owe that is another story all together. My father-in-law sold it for $200 last year because he got tired of working on it. He forgot about all the time and beers I enjoyed with him under that hood. The neighbor grins everytime he sees me with that "You Sucker" attitude.

Oh well it wasn't mine but I sure would have loved to have the first refusal.

Doug

Old 09-22-03, 10:49 AM
LOL. I am glad you got things worked out. LEt us know if you need any help installing the starter.

Old 09-22-03, 04:47 PM
Doug,
Just be careful not to overtighten the two long screws that hold the switch down. If you strip out the holes in the blower housing, you'll have to drill new ones.

What I have been doing is first cleaning the mounting area for the switch with isopropyl alcohol. I then put a spot of RTV silicone down before locating the switch. A little dab of silicone on the end of each, and then just snug up the screws. The screws won't shake loose and the switch will stay put.

Tom

Joe F - I just picked up an Ariens 32" w/o engine for $44. Here we go again!

Old 09-23-03, 03:11 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Tom,

Good for you. Drop me a line, old friend. Glad to see you back.

Old 09-25-03, 10:56 AM
Unbelievable SEARS

Well I got the starter last night, ran it over to my father-in-laws looked at the directions and almost fell over!! Sears was going to charge $150.00 to remove a slot cover, slide the starter in, bolt it on and bolt the push contact on. I was done in under a half hour and most of the time was used looking for a screw driver and the correct socket size. What a racket!!! I decided after I started it up to get new belts, a plug, air filter, change the oil and grease it up...So I loaded it on my truck and brought it home anyway. I just can't believe what SEARS wanted to charge.

Again, Thank you all for the help!!!

Doug

Old 09-25-03, 11:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Good for you. Sounds like you got it in good order. Where did you wind up getting the starter?

Old 09-25-03, 11:47 AM
I followed the pointer to Ebay provided by Mike (mikejmerritt). I got it for $95.00 new in the box w/all directions. I saved $40.00 right there over Sears charge.

Regards,

Doug

Old 09-25-03, 12:23 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good deal.

Way to go Mike!

Old 10-05-03, 07:42 PM
madsam
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Money Pitt
I followed the pointer to Ebay provided by Mike (mikejmerritt). I got it for $95.00 new in the box w/all directions. I saved $40.00 right there over Sears charge.

Regards,

Doug
with some time and patients, you could have found it for even less than 95, however, since you installed it yourself, i see a total savings if 190 bucks. nicely done.

i recently bought in on a lot of 19 snow throwers with a friend, and some are old, and some are real old.. when i read this thread, i was amazed at sears' installation cost, since i know very little about small engines, and we swapped a couple starters on these old gems we have. 4 bolts, and 2 on the switch. sears is a joke... i used to go there for shocks and springs for my car, but never again..

i just joined this forum, and will be reading a lot here, and i will most likely have tons of questions for you all in the upcoming weeks..... glad to see a small engine forum online...it's like a breath of fresh air....

Old 10-05-03, 10:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome aboard madsam!

We'll look forward to seeing you on the boards!

Old 10-06-03, 03:09 AM
madsam
Visiting Guest
thanks for the warm welcome.

Old 01-30-11, 07:17 AM
Tire size?

Hello, I have one of these machines and the tires are on the way out. Sears no longer sells them.
Any idea as to what the specs are so I can get some replacements?
The rims are fine, the rubber is just dry rotting....

Old 01-30-11, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
spoofdog...Welcome to the Forums, but the thread is over 7 yrs old. Cheese or one of the others may be able to help...but any garden equipment supplier should be able to get the correct size tires.

Are there no markings either on the wheel or tire? You could take one off and take it to almost any shop for help I'm sure.

Found the manual for one very similar and it says 13x5.0x6....if that's true I see that Northern carries some for $20 each....

Search this Thread