Mower wont start

Old 09-11-03, 11:28 AM
Heavyd
Visiting Guest
Mower wont start

i have a Scotts(John Deere) 42 in riding mower that wont start. I took battery to store and had it checked, they say it is good. I bypassed the kill switch and that wasnt it. When i turn the key i see the engine move slightly and hear it trying to engage. It is only 2 years old so I am lost. Thanx in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-03, 12:46 PM
my guess is your battery is bad, or your starter is dragging. try using jumper cables or a battery booster. if it turns over right, your battery is bad.

Old 09-11-03, 12:47 PM
Heavyd
Visiting Guest
thanx kerry tried jumping off of a car....didnt work

Old 09-11-03, 05:41 PM
Your starter moter could be bad. I would check that out first, if that turns out okay, then mabie the engine got a little rusty and is not allowing the engine to turn over properly. Check for rusted parts. If there are none, than check your battery lead cables, starter moter cable, and any other wires that look coroded. If you find any than scrap it off with sand paper. If you have checked all this and everything check out ok, then I would put a AMP/Volt meter on your battery and test to make sure it goes up to 12 volts.

Old 09-12-03, 05:47 AM
pull the spark plug and try and see if it will turn over. let us know what happens.

Old 09-12-03, 11:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello Heavyd!

I would agree with all so far. I want to stress that you should make sure all battery connections are clean and tight (wrench tight). What make and model engine do you have? I would guess Kohler, but if it is a briggs, you could have a jammed bendix gear on the starter.

Old 09-13-03, 01:07 PM
Heavyd
Visiting Guest
Mower wont start

Ok today i lifted up the hood of mower and saw that everytime i tryed to start it only turned a few inches, so i put my hand on the plastic cover of the top of engine and turned it half a turn the opposite way! Then try to start and it started. I turned it off and restarted and it started again. I drove it around for a few minutes and i could faintly hear like some metal whistling. I turned it off and it sounded like it stopped to a grinding halt. Hmmmm not good, I checked oil and it is satisfactory. So what is that noise.??? Help!!!!

Old 09-13-03, 04:28 PM
tornadofish
Visiting Guest
Re: Mower wont start

Originally posted by Heavyd
Ok today i lifted up the hood of mower and saw that everytime i tryed to start it only turned a few inches, so i put my hand on the plastic cover of the top of engine and turned it half a turn the opposite way! Then try to start and it started. I turned it off and restarted and it started again. I drove it around for a few minutes and i could faintly hear like some metal whistling. I turned it off and it sounded like it stopped to a grinding halt. Hmmmm not good, I checked oil and it is satisfactory. So what is that noise.??? Help!!!!

Old 09-13-03, 04:50 PM
tornadofish
Visiting Guest
It could be a starter not disengageing but it probably is the selinoid or relay which ever you prefer. It can be found by tracing the wire between the starter and switch if it is not working properly it can drag the starter and can keep the starter engaged when the engine is running which would account for the metal noise.

Old 09-14-03, 02:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree that the starter bendix gear is stuck. It is plastic and the entire bendix should be replaced. They only run around $25.00 and it is easy to replace. Hopefully the starter motor itself is still ok. Sometimes running the engine with the starter engaged will sling the windings out of the armature and ruin it. If the solenoid were stuck, it would crank constantly, even with the switch off, and drain the battery, burn the starter up, and probably melt wires.

Old 09-15-03, 09:25 AM
Heavyd
Visiting Guest
Mower wont start

Thanx all so far... I took bolts out of the black plastic cover and watched the starter as i tryed to start it. The starter is not deengaging everytime. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesnt.

Cheese, since it is a Kohler does that mean i dont have that bendix gear ur talking about? I have been searching for a new starter costs seem to be around $90.00. Scotts has a 2 year warranty and it ran out in May 03. Any suggestions. Should i just buy one on-line and replace?

Old 09-15-03, 08:54 PM
Heavyd
Visiting Guest
mower wont start

I called local mower store and they said it is probably solenoid and not starter. Said Solenoid is telling starter to stay engaged?

Old 09-15-03, 10:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the solenoid is keeping the starter engaged, it will continue to try to turn the engine even with the key off. Is that what is happening? Is the solenoid mounted on the side of the starter, or on the mower frame? Check for power at the starter when the key is not turned to start, but the gear is still engaged. If it has power still, then the solenoid is bad. If not, check for power at the starter with the key turned to start, like you are cranking it. If you have power (around 8 volts or more) then you have a bad starter. If you have very low voltage, then you may have a bad connection or wire.

Old 09-16-03, 07:36 AM
Heavyd
Visiting Guest
No it is not trying to start with the key off!! solenoid is on frame under seat. Check for power...could be above my head as i have no meter to check with.

Old 09-16-03, 11:19 AM
Heavyd
Visiting Guest
Went to local dealer...they tested starter. they said nothing is wrong with starter. They also said unless solenoid is doing nothing or repeatedly trying to start engine it is not solenoid. They gave me two washers to put on the bolts that hold starter on. saying that starter maybe to close to flywheel. So gonna try that in a little while will report findings.

Old 09-16-03, 10:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Can you still turn the engine by hand without too much effort? Will the starter crank the engine without a spark plug installed?

Old 09-17-03, 06:27 AM
did you hit something with the blade the last time you ran the mower?

Old 09-18-03, 05:10 PM
Heavyd
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by kerry
did you hit something with the blade the last time you ran the mower?
Well i found out whats wrong. Today i layed on the ground next to the mower, to do a thorough visual inspection. I wanted to know where that faint scraping noise was coming from. Well right next to the spindle from the engine was a bracket, and there was a belt guide that was not in the hole where it should have been. So that was slowing the engine down everytime it tried to crank. As soon as i put it in the correct hole, the mower started up the first time and 3 subsequent times. I want to thank all who helped me with this problem

Old 09-18-03, 06:47 PM
Glad you got it fixed.

Old 09-19-03, 12:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good job!

Old 09-19-03, 02:40 AM
Heavyd
Visiting Guest
Thanx

Search this Thread