Lawnmower running rough

Old 09-11-03, 11:35 AM
fjclaus
Visiting Guest
Lawnmower running rough

My mower is not acting right. Sounds like it wants to stall. It appears to be low on oil. I have a mower that takes gas and oil in two separate sections. Do I just use plain 10w30 oil, or is there a special oil for use in lawn mowers?

Also can someone please tell me how to prepare my mower for winter? I am a new homowner and not reall sure what I need to do.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-03, 11:39 AM
I am moving this post to the small engines section where you can get some expert help.

Old 09-11-03, 12:13 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It's doubtful the low oil condition is causing the stalling, but being low on oil is not good. Oil should be changed every year in a machine like that, more often in dusty conditions or commercial usage.

10W30 oil for cars should be fine---but check the machine, some recommend SAE30 instead.

Sounds like either a fuel or ignition problem. Engine/equipment specifics would be a help.....

Old 09-11-03, 12:38 PM
it sounds to me like you are describing a 2- cycle engine. if so, make sure you do not ever run out of oil. your engine will be toast. your stalling problem could be trash in the gas or water in the gas. will need more info to diagnose.

Old 09-11-03, 05:34 PM
If you have a model number on your engine, then please stait it here so we can further help. Also, please include the brand of the engine. If you know the brand of the mower that would also help.

Old 09-12-03, 11:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello fjclaus!

I agree...make and model would help. If the gas and oil go in seperate places, then you have a 4 cycle engine...(most common). I reccomend 30 weight oil for all small engines unless it is to be used in very cold weather...(30 or below)...then 10w-30 would be ok.

Old 09-13-03, 04:37 PM
tornadofish
Visiting Guest
engine problems

OK guys he said he put oil and gas in 2 different I know there are some 2 cycle engines that you would do that to but sounds like a dirty carb

Old 09-14-03, 02:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What 2 cycle engines on mowers have seperate containers for gas and oil? I haven't run into one of those yet, if they exist.

Old 09-15-03, 05:23 AM
your right cheese. im thinking of golf carts and outboard motors. cant think of any riding mowers off hand either. the post just read that way to me when i first saw it.

Old 09-15-03, 10:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
ok, I was just wondering if there was a lawnmower out there with oil injection. I haven't seen one, but there's always something different out there...ya never know.