Lawn Tractor Story

Old 09-12-03, 10:46 AM
Thumbs up Lawn Tractor Story

I have a short little story that might be interesting to some people. Last year I was given a 8HP Electric Start Rear Engine Mower with a 30" cut. In the shape it was given me, I realised this guy did not take care of his equipment. There was rust on the mower, rust in the gas tank, foren objects inside the gas tank. Rust in the fuel lines, and rust in the carb! In order for me to get this mower going I had to do the folowing.

Take gas tank off to wash it out and drain dry before insertion.
Buy new fuel line and fuel filter.
Clean out carb completely.
Bought new spark plug.
Bought new needle valve and float for the carb. Seals too.
Bought new battery.
Bought new starter cranking button.
Bought new Terminal Key-Switch.
Had to rewire sylinoid.

Now the engine runs, but, oh wait Something else is wrong! The gear shift is really hard to move! I need to get grease for it! So I did that and now its ok now. Than I noticed that the deck needed to be straigtend. I did that and bought a new pully for the drive belt and bought a new drive belt. After all this work and spending $200.01 bucks, I have a great rear engine lawn tractor! Why did I spend this much money to fix it when I could have bought a new one? Simple, I did not have 1,550 or 2,500 to buy a new one.

And what I am about to tell is going to rock your cage. I thought by looking at the engine and mower it looked about 10 years old. I called B&S and they told me that engine is 15 years old!!! That means the mower is too! I never thought I could be able to get a 15 year old engine to run from nothing! This story was told because it lets people know that if they put there mind to the prodject they are working on, they could even get a 20 year old engine to run. Don't be diescourged if you can not get it running at first. Chances its one little thing on your engine that is causing the problem. Plus this story also tought you another thing. If you have a problem with your mower, in the story is ideas you can use to troublshoot.

Remember always look for the simplist thing first! Make sure fresh gas is in the tank. Check for spark. If this is all ok, then your procede to more sophisiticated problems. This is Terminater signing off and goodnight...

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-03, 01:15 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good for you!

Half of my yard equipment is either recycles or they were trash at the curb!

I was given a 1979 Craftsman snowblower by someone because it leaked gas. Because the carburetor had trash in it! LOL. With a little TLC, this machine will be great.

The 1988 Craftsman lawn mower I use on my grandpa's 80x100 property was thrown out by my neighbor. I serviced it, unjammed the starter cord and cut my lawn with it THAT night waving to my neighbor who spent 500 bucks on a new Toro.

Bottom line: You can always throw it out, but 9 times out of ten you can save it with some help. That's been my creedo for many years and I have scored some great stuff for free or little charge by doing this.

My current project, a 1990 Homelite 1200 Psi powerwasher was a $35 find at a equipment sale. See the "What should I pay" post in this forum.

Stay tuned as Mike Merritt and I take this junker and turn it into a working workhorse.

Good job!

Old 09-12-03, 03:12 PM
Good job to you to Joe_F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totaly agree with you! With a little knoledge and help you can do wonders with a small engine. I have seen your what should I pay post, but, I am going to look at it again. By the way, do you have a 2 cycle mantis tiller that is not working that you would be willing to give to me? That is currently what I am looking for right now.

Old 09-12-03, 03:28 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No, I have a 4 cycle gas Little Wonder Edger that Mike and I are working on .

I stick with my equipment for a VERY long time .

Mike and I are good friends and try to help out each other. (even though he is in MS and I'm in NYC)Currently, Mike and I are trying to find a good source for Kohler pistons for his KT17 project.

We may be close to something. LOL .

Old 09-12-03, 04:04 PM
There is only one place that I know of that has Koyler pistons and that is at the Koyler website, I seem to remember parts listing there.

Old 09-12-03, 06:00 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
It really is amazing how well these little engines hold up. You are correct about the little things adding up to an engine that is not worth taking to a shop for repairs. I have almost 200 small engines under 18 HP and bet that 9 out of 10 could be made to run with 6-7 of those non smokers. Some of these are almost 40 years old......Mike

Old 09-13-03, 03:13 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
True. I know what Mike speaks of because half of my yard equipment is recycled. LOL.

I love taking something someone's pitched and give it a second chance. 9 times out of 10, it's TLC and upkeep. Do that and these buggers will run a long time.

My snowblower is from 1965, why should I replace it? It's heavy duty and everything on it is strong .