battery draining while mowing

Old 09-17-03, 10:19 AM
sammj
Visiting Guest
battery draining while mowing

Hello,
I got help with our Ariens mower with Kohler twin 16hp engine from you all and I now have another problem. The battery keeps going dead while mowing. The battery light comes on when the PTO is engaged. I bought another battery and it still happens. They checked the battery and it was good. Any ideas?
thanks in advance, Sammy

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-03, 02:11 PM
Your battery senser is most likely faulty. If your battery is good and is holding a good charge, than you should not get that light.

Old 09-17-03, 06:20 PM
sammj
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your reply. The battery does go dead after mowing for a while. The new battery lasted about three weeks before going down. It will jump and start but the voltage light stays on and the battery is not charging even while the engine only is running. It seems like something is draining the batteries, probably the PTO.??? Thanks again for your interest.

Old 09-17-03, 08:50 PM
If something is draining the battery than its got to be a electrical problem. Now, I am not sure if a electric pto clutch would do such a thing, but it is something to look into. I would wait in this forum for cheese reply. He is the main guy that responds to these messages. And he knows it all as well.

Old 09-17-03, 10:16 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello sammj!

The electric PTO does use electricity from the battery, but the alternator is supposed to charge the battery faster than the PTO uses it. Check with a voltmeter at the battery terminals with the engine running at full throttle. If you have 13.5 or more volts there, the alternator is charging. Try with the PTO engaged. If the voltage drops much, then you may have a bad clutch, or charging problems. If the meter never shows that much voltage, then you have a charging system problem. These engines have a more complex charging system. To check alternator output, start the engine and set the voltmeter to AC voltage and check the 1st and 3rd wires on the regulator connector for voltage. If none, you have alternator problems. If you show voltage there...(can't remember how much, I think around 30 volts??) on both wires, then check the middle wire with the meter set at DC. You should show 13.5 volts or more there. If not, you probably have a bad regulator. If you do have proper voltage, but it is not getting to the battery, you have a wiring problem. Let us know what you find on these tests.

In case it's not clear...check each of these wires on the connector individually, using the positive lead on the wire, and the negative lead to ground. (from 1st wire in the connector to ground, and 3rd wire in the connector to ground).

Terminator20...thanks for the vote of confidence!

Old 09-18-03, 06:09 AM
sammj
Visiting Guest
Cheese and Terminator20:
Thanks for the information. I will try these tests and let you know! Sammy

Old 09-26-03, 10:42 PM
Did you ever get this problem fixed? I am interested to know what you find.

Old 09-29-03, 08:19 AM
sammj
Visiting Guest
Terminator, I didn't have the tester and was in a hurry to mow so I took the battery back and they said it was bad. I don't think this is the real problem, but have been out of town and will try to test this week. Thanks for your interest. I'll let you know. Sammy