Honda mower oil change

Old 09-18-03, 09:15 AM
Honda mower oil change

Well it is time to change oil in my Honda mower for the first time.It calls for Honda oil 10W-30.Iwant to use Castrol not Honda oil.All I have now is Castrol 10W-40 or Castrol 5W-30 can I use them or should I just buy a quart of the 10W-30.I think the 10-40 would be OK what do you guys think?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-03, 10:17 AM
You can not use those. If you do not want to use the recomended oil. Then buy Quaker State 10w30 oil.

Old 09-18-03, 11:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Buy the correct recommended grade of motor oil. Will set you back $1 on sale. Not worth ruining the engine in the long haul by using the wrong oil.

Old 09-18-03, 01:19 PM
good deal

OK thanks guys I will go get some Honda oil and get it done you are right why chance it for a few bucks.Just was thinking I have some of the Castrol just sitting around none of my cars use that grade.

Old 09-18-03, 03:25 PM
update

Went looking for Honda oil at home Depot no luck. I went home and started reading the book that came with the mower. It says to use an oil that has an API rating of SL and it states to use a good detergent oil. So unless someone can tell me what is special about Honda oil that is also SL rated or Castrol 10-30 also with an SL rating and much easier to find.
I know that some oils use a paraffan base I think it is Penzoil but I have been using Castrol for over 30 years in my autos with no damage and many of them had over 200 thousand miles and when valve cover was removed it was clean no sludge.

Old 09-18-03, 03:44 PM
If you use the correct weight and an SL rated oil you can't go wrong. The brand can be your choice.

The manufacturer wants you to use their brand but if you follow the owners manual you will be fine, and they will not be able to deny warranty claims. Keep the recipts with the manual while the warranty is in effect just to be safe.

Old 09-18-03, 03:51 PM
good enough

Yep I dont see any thing wrong with it now that I think about it as long as the API and weight are per Honda it is good.If its good enough for John Force in his NHRA funny car its good enough for me Thanks all

Old 09-18-03, 05:14 PM
Quaker State is the best oil to use. Believe me, I have used quaker state oild in my lawn mowers for ten years and never have a problem. Just make sure that the Quaker State oild that your buy is 10W30, and meats any other requirments that are mentioned in your owners manual. If Cheese replied to this message he would say the same thing.

Old 09-19-03, 12:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lol..yep...just make sure whatever brand oil you use meets the service requirements listed in the manual. Honda doesn't make oil, they just package someone else's oil with their name on it. Castrol or any other should be just fine. If I made any deviations from manufacturers' suggestions, it would be using plain 30wt oil instead of 10w30. I prefer the performance of 30wt over 10w30, but you may have different results. In your case, the mower is new, and I would stick to the reccomendations by the mfgr.

Old 09-19-03, 06:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
T-20:

Q-state is part of Penzoil now and it's not likely that the old QS formula survived.

Fact is that any oil meeting the engine's minimum service requirements by API will be fine. I've run many, many brands in my vehicles, all exceed the original spec.

Back in say, 1979, my 1979 Trans Am was using SE motor oil. We are up to SL now on API ratings. Even the cheapest SL oil that is the proper grade is MILES ahead of the 1979 SE oil. So you've "improved" things just by buying new oil .

It is more regular maintenance than throwing high dollar product at the equipment. Billions of fleet miles have proven that.

Old 09-19-03, 08:02 AM
Joe-F is right, but i would be sure to stick with 10w-30. using a thicker oil may cause unnessesary wear.

Old 09-19-03, 08:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Kerry:

I suppose I should clarify. I meant any brand that is the recommended grade as the owner's manual or engine recommends.

Search this Thread